Safari in black and white/sepia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:20 AM
johan_belgium

Hello everyone,

I just posted 20 pictures from my last safari after editing them with Photoshop. Some of them look a bit too sharp again due to the tool used to downsize the pictures.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-moffq3

Greetings,

Johan

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johan,
Beautiful! Think I'll try it with some of my pics. LOVE the Zebra in the dust? mist? Again, great photos!
Teri
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:48 AM

These are great pics, Johan. I loved the close up portrait of the leopard and the splashing zebra. Just beautiful! (Did you notice how the zebras look the same in color and B&W?)

I just got Photoshop and can't wait to experiment with my photos.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Thanks Johan,
I, as well, wondered what is surrounding the zebra - it's an excellent shot. Your shots are never a quick look.

It's amazing how different the photos look in B+W or sepia tones. Very moody and romantic with a sense of old style photography that appeals to me. The B+W blood however, always catches me off guard.
Nice work.
Sherry
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 01:42 PM
africnow

I too enjoyed the splashing zebra very much. Some of the photos do take on a special atmosphere in sepia or b/w, but imho it detracts from the beuty of some: the birds and the sunset especially.

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Thanks, I was going to make the same point as Africnow -- b/w and sepia adds to some shots, but I find it detracts from the non-predator birds (their color is what makes them). I imagine, though, that you have the originals saved.

To me, elephants and rhinos can look stunning in b/w and I might take some rolls with me next week (I have two bodies, so I can keep b/w in one, from time to time).

Michael
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Johan - thank you for sharing. Love the fact you are willing to experiment on your trips. Great way to improve your photography.

My favorites from the black and white/sepia:

Baby cub snuggled in - face shot
Bird- not sure type - pelican?
zebra
Trotting Leopard
Sunset / Dusk
Wild Dog

Great job. Always enjoy seeing your pictures.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Incredible, Johan! I really am going with you next time...
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:43 PM
santharamhari

Johan, lovely pics........thanks

Hari

P.S: I had no idea, it was your pics from the title of the thread, but, was pleasantly surprised....

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 09:07 PM
johan_belgium

Thank you everyone - it was just an experiment and of course I have saved the originals one (in colour).

The picture of the zebra was taken near twin pools at Lebala. He was covered in dust.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:53 PM

Well, when I see a nature picture in B&W or sepia, my first thought is - wonder what it looks like in color. In other words, I don't care for it. I know, Ansel Adams worked only in B&W, but his are of landscapes and are as much about design and light as subject matter. Animals in nature are to me 99% subject. Portraits in B&W, now that is interesting. The human face seems to "work" ok in B&W. I wonder if it because we have grown up seeing faces in B&W, e.g. newspapers.
regards - tom
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:53 AM

Hi Johan,

A very nice collection indeed.
You only have one problem now, next time you will have to get even better pictures, and how are you going to get much better then this set ;-)

Anyway as they say "Practise makes Perfect"

all the best

Maurice

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:02 AM
johan_belgium

Tom,

Probably you are right. We are used to see faces in black and white in newspapers.

It was just a try-out - no more than that and some of them I like and others I don't. It can work well - I've some excellent ones of lions - but you are right. Capturing wildlife is best done in colour. Although I've seen some excellent shots in black and white in coffee-table books about Botswana.

Best regards,

Johan

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:08 AM
johan_belgium

Maurice,

It's gonna be a challenge - but in September/October I will be mainly focusing on elephants in Lebala (should be no problem)and wild dogs (if they are around) and I hope to capture a kill of a buffalo at Duba Plains.

But you are right - this was a top experience I got in May. But on most of my safaris, I got a couple of magical days and at that very moment, you have to be ready.

Best regards,

Johan

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 01:11 AM
santharamhari

Johan,

My fav in the series....was the zebra among the dust.

Hari

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 03:57 AM

Whilst I tend to prefer much wildlife photography in colour I do like a few of your black and whites very much...

Thanks for sharing them!