Search

safari help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safari help

Can anyone suggest a good camping safari company in kenya/ tanzania?
I am heading to nairobi on feb 28 2007 for 1 month and want to do a 2 week safari.
Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Some that have been used and mentioned here:

Kiliwarriors
Green Footprint
Roys
Eastern & Southern Safaris
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM

What kind of camping safari (budget, mid-level, etc) are you looking for and what's your budget? Are you looking to join a group or do you want a private trip? How many people are in your party? Different operators specialize in different types of camping trips. Some operators will put groups together while others may only do private trips, so it's important to know your preferences so that we can better advise.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM

We did a partial budget camping trip a few years ago with Easy Travel and Tours in Tanzania. They are listed on the TATO website, where you will find many others. www.tatotz.org/

On the same trip, we met Kennedy Muthoka in Nairobi. His company is called Waymark Tours--not sure whether he does camping, though. www.katkokenya.org is the Kenyan equivalent of TATO.

However, as Patty noted, what kind of camping are you considering? Budget, luxe, mid-range, private, group, etc.?

On our last trip we did semi-perm (luxury?) camping with Nomad Tanzania and it was--wonderful!!!

But any time on safari in East Africa is pretty dreamy regardless of the size of your tent, if you ask me.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Also, peruse the New East AFrica Trip Report Index. Mainly lodge and tented-camp itineraries, but there are a few camping trips that squeak in occasionally.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34860283
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the info. I am one person, travel alone. Looking for a budget camping safari. Hopefully more of a private safari than a large group. Got qoutes from primetime,planet safaris. Anyone used them? I wish for 9-10 days in kenya. Take 2 day break in arusha. Than 5 days in tanzania. I was hoping for total cost for both around $1500-1750. Again any help is so appreciated
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Planet Safaris is very cheap but has gotten bad reviews here.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34754451

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34693608

Spend a little more and go with a more reliable budget camping outfitter like Gametrackers in Kenya. For Tanzania, try Sunny or Basecamp. Good luck!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I dont mind spending more to get a better safari. How much should a 14 - 15 day safari budget camping safari cost?
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:29 PM
sandi

beleaf -

You actually have to send to the operators/outfitters as mentioned above with: details of when you wish to travel, type of accommodations (in your case camping), estimated budget, length of time. Ask the outfitters what kind of tents, whether with or w/o ensuite bathrooms, type of toilets, showers, whether hot water for showers, were camps are situated, type of food provided, security at campsite, how traveling between parks/reserves, and anything else that is of interest/concern.

Once you receive their offerings, feel free to post here for comments. And, it's suggested your keep all information received on this same thread so we can follow your progress and easier for you and us to find.