SED Adventure Tours and Safari

Old Oct 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SED Adventure Tours and Safari

We are looking into going to Tanzania in Nov. or Dec. and was wondering if anyone had used/heard of SED Adventure tours. Was also wondering about experienced Tanzania travelers opinions on Nov. Dec. or jan. time frame? Never traveled to Africa before and are stumbling around trying to figure out how to pick a company.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 08:34 AM

Is SED Adventurers a Tour Operator/Agent in your home country or located in Tanzania? Personally haven't heard/seen the name before even if located in Tanzania, but then there are so many responsible outfitters to choose. You can check the TATO (Tanzania Assoc of Tour Operators) site at www.tatotz.com (or is is .org) for list of outfitters. Select 4-5 of them, send the same info to each - when you wish to visit, where you want to stop,type of accommodations (lodges/tents) and estimated budget. Then compare their replies and be sure you're comparing apples-to-apples.

Or, you might want to search this board for names of those operators/outfitters many here have used.... See thread by LyndaS "New East African Trip Report Index" - here finding trip reports and the company/outfitter they used to arrange the safari. You'll also find samples of itineraries those reporting did - where visited, type of accommodations, # of days at each.

Most of those you find in the Trip Reports are private independent itineraries, designed by the travelers, rather than "group" departures where you have a set itinerary, set accommodations, set # of days, etc. And, then consider that the others in the group who may not have the same interests - prefer birds when you like cats, are satisfied with taking one photo while you'd prefer to sit and watch for awhile.

Nov thru mid-Dec is the "short" rains, but no guarantee it will and if it does shouldn't impact your safari. Benefit is that prices are lower than later-Dec (after the 15th) and during January which are at peak-season rates.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sandy, Found them on a website, the Africa Guide I think, been to so many!. They state that they are a member of TALA and had quoted us 2097.00 for an 8 day safari, in lodges, and this is supposed to be a private safari also. I emailed them back requesting more info 2 days ago with no reply. Have also contacted a few others that I had read about on this board. Access to Tanzania looks really nice, but is all tent camping, which I am still vaccillating about. Just emailed Roy's.
This may be a dumb question, but if you tent camp the whole time where do you charge your camera batteries??
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Depends on what kinds of "tent" camping you mean. Are these permanent tent camps where they may have outlets in the tents, but definitely in the public space. If camping out in the bush in set-up tents (can be seasonal camps or budget [using public campsites sharing facilities with others] or semi-lux [on "special" private campsites]), then most use the cigarette lighter of your safari vehicle. Be sure you have the proper adapter for insertion into the lighter.

Access2Tanzania and Roy Safaris are both well-known, reputable and often used outfitters by those who post here on Fodors. Both can provide the info you require to any questions as that re charging batteries.

Good luck!
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again Sandi,
I need to read more online I guess, its just soo overwhelming!
Has anyone done Night game drives?