SA Winelands: Wine guide or on our own?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're two couples visiting SA for the first time from the States. We plan to spend two of our five days in the Cape Town area visiting wineries. We'll be stationed in Stellenbosch for that portion of the trip. Three of the four of us are real wine lovers. Would you hire a wine guide or not if you had a good idea of what wineries you wanted to visit? We're debating between hiring the guide, renting a car or just hiring a driver.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 02:48 AM

The wineries we visited offered guided tastings. Not sure why you need a dedicated wine guide.
Driving in that area looked easy to me but I would suggest a driver if you are going to drink wine. Did you read my suggestions on your other thread, on CapeTown guides?
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 04:46 AM

Definitely more fun to go it on your own. Take your own car if you have a designated driver, or hire a driver if you all want to enjoy the wine. You can print out some guides to the wine estates that you can find online (www.wineroute.co.za) or pick up one at most tourism offices in and around the Cape. Alternatively you can get them on your smartphone using google maps (check out www.satpacktravel.com)
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy, I did and I have sent an inquiry to Charlie Trout regarding his availability and rates.
satpackpete, I plan to also look into a driver just so that all can either drink or enjoy scenery. The friends we are going with know exactly which wineries they want to visit so that is also an option.

We're a bit divided on this issue.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 07:06 AM

Hi Misha,

I'd probably recommend that you get a guide, even if you know which wines you are interested in, often where a local guide adds most value to your experience is the little interesting titbits of information, fascinating local stories, etc that he provides in between visiting the vineyards.
If you going to get a driver anyway, might as well get a driver/guide - you can then relax, all drink, enjoy the scenery and if you learn some local information along the way - so much the better.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Charlie Trout is already booked. Any other suggestions? He has a friend he suggests, but I'm not comfortable using someone I don't know anything about.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 08:46 AM

If Charlie is recommending someone, I would trust him. He really is a fantastic person as well as guide and I do not think he would steer you wrong. Maybe someone else here has used the person he recommends....do you have the name?
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Her name is Delvin and she is with Cape Options or Corporate Cape Tours. Has anyone worked with her? She seems very professional. Cost for four for full day in a basic car is about R1500.

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Just thought I'd try asking again? Any favorite guides or Drivers for the Winelands? Also, any favorite guide for Cape Town?
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 07:24 AM

I had a phenomenal day with Wayne at take two tours. He has some great connections, is certified and does this for a living and knows the area and a lot about wine.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip!
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 06:58 PM

Try to go to Lynx Winery. It is a very small winery and the owner gave us a fabulous tour. One of the best tours that I have ever had and the wine was delicious.

FYI, we rented a car and drove ourselves. We prefer the flexibility that you get this way.
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jeanned! I'll make note of that.