Restaurants in Cairo

Old May 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Cairo

Can anybody recommend great restaurants in Cairo. Prefer local food but basically any kind will do.
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:53 PM

Naguib Mafouz in the Khan el Khalili Market has good food. I advise staying away from the meats as they tend to over cook them (IMHO) and they end up a bit dry. But, on the page, called Local or Khan Specialties, the top item on that page is called Badistan Tagen - everything on that page should be pretty good. The Badistan Tagen (it's Musakka) and the Azbekayia Labanayia (sp?) are both fabulous. The page before this page is FISH and both the Shrimp Abu Kir and the Calamari Stew are wonderful.
Start with Hummas, Tahina, Babaghanous for sure and bread and then share one of the above dishes. There is WAY too much in any one of those for one person.
They do the BEST Lemon juice drink in the city. Have it with mint or without, it is still the BEST.

DO NOT order the Kosheri or Tamayia/Falafel here. These are what we would call Ghetto Food and you gotta go to the Ghetto to get good Ghetto Food - right?

For the best Kosheri in Cairo the magazines all vote Hind in Heliopolis as the winner, but as long as the Kosherie restaurant is busy, it should be safe and probably is good.

Good Tamayia can be found at Shabrawy (around the corner from Fish Awy) in the Khan el Khalili market. The trick here is to hit that stand when it isn't busy so you can actually get up to the counter to get what you want. It's delicious, but the crowds trying to get in there might put you off.

GAD is a chain of local food restaurants that I actually haven't tried yet, but my driver raves about their sandwiches as being some of the best cuz they bake their own bread there, I guess.

If you are out by the Pyramids, the Andrea's Restaurant on the canal is very good for the best BBQ chicken around. There is a knock off Andreas in the near area on the road to Sakkara. That is a knock off and not the same. If when you enter, there is chicken being BBQd outdoors immediately to your left and ladies baking fresh bread just beyond that, you have the right place. Another thing they do the BEST here is cheese Samboosak. Don't bother with it at Naguib Mafouz.

Hungry for western style food and a great view? Go to Al Ahzar park and hit the Citadel View Restaurant building. Go upstairs and the little coffee shop/sweet store/restaurant up there has probably the best service of all the restaurants in the park. I like their panini sandwiches, but mostly go up there for the strawberry/mango juice drink. YUM!

Those are the 3 restaurants we use mostly on our tours, so any past customers might be able to comment.

OH YEAH - for fish - a good bet is the Fish Market. There is one in Alexandria, one in Cairo near the Four Seasons First Residence and a new one in Heliopolis. Order a Sea bass cooked Sangary style and you'll have a nice piece of fish that tastes great. It is baked with spices on it. They have some of the best bread and mesa dips here too.

Bon Appetite
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:49 AM

Abou Tarek has good kosheri. They are at 16 Maarouf - Shamplion Street . Kosheri is all they serve and the place is like a multi level diner ... it al works!
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM

We ate a good meal in Abul El Sid which was near the Cairo Marriott. We ordered several dips for appetizers. I had a yummy entree of kosheri. I know I enjoyed my dessert.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM

We recently were staying at the Cairo Marriott and had several meals at the Restaurant Maxim which is right across the street on the river front. I think if you go down the ramp at the front entrance to the Marriott to the R, and cross the street, it is down the stairs. It looked like a 3 story building on a floating pontoon. Take the elevator up the level 3. It's a large, very modern and attractive modern interior with comfortable seating all around. Big windows open to the views and serves alcohol. We had several delicious meals there and the prices were really low (especially if you are staying at one of the large chain hotels). Everyone's favorite was the [warm] stuffed vine leaves (dolma). Not the ordinary ones, but the warm ones. Yummy! We actually just kept having different appetizers and loved it. The crowd is mostly locals and a very lively fun loving crowd at that. Highly recommend this restaurant.

They also have a floating restaurant, but we didn't do that. But our friends did and we were told the food was ok, wine expensive, but belly dancer was amazing.