Cairo/Giza Restaurant Recommendations

Old Aug 8th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cairo/Giza Restaurant Recommendations

Hi,

My wife and I are headed to Cairo for 3 days (en route on a 2 week trip in Greece) in a few weeks and since this forum has been so helpful in the past, I figured I'd see if anyone had any restaurant recommendations while we were in Cairo/Giza. For background, we are staying at the Le Meridien Pyramids out in Giza and since Cairo is our first stop on our dream vacation, we are very concerned about food poisoning while in Cairo (obviously we intend not to drink the tap water or eat uncooked fruits and veggies) because a week of being sick will pretty much ruin the rest of our vacation.

Could anyone please recommend a few very clean restaurants in Cairo or Giza with good food and where we can relax and not worry about getting sick?

Thank you!
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Are you looking for Egyptian food, or any food? You're not going to believe this, but the Mexican restaurant in Le Meridien Pyramids is surprisingly good (fairly expensive, though, since it's a hotel restaurant). We were there in August 2008. (I just checked the website and it has a different name -- I don't know whether it has the same chef/menu).
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you sf. We are pretty impartial--ultimately I think we are just looking to eat decently without getting sick! I suppose though if we could try Egyptian food than we would be happy to.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:27 PM

We were at the Le Meridien Pyramids last month. Their restaurant by the pool is quite good with great views of the pyramids from the pool- this is for lunch only. My recommendation for a great dinner nearby would be the Indian restaurant at the Mena Oberoi hotel which is quite close to the Meridien. Its excellent and the Mena Oberoi is just stunning.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM

I didn't mention it because I'm guessing you're not into "street food", but the falafel sandwiches at the Felfela stand next door to LMP are fantastic and unbelieveably cheap. Egyptian fast food.