References on safaris operators

Jun 10th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

References on safaris operators

I am looking for somebody who made a safari with East African Safari Company. Their quotation seems reasonable for next August, considering I am looking for some comfort too. Roy only proposed public campsites.
thanks a lot in advance
bye
Jun 10th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Sorry the operator is called
East African Safari and Touring Company. looking fwd for any answer!!!
Jun 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM

We did a trip with East Africa Safari Company (based in New York City)in 1988.It was wonderful! They used Abercrombie and Kent and had the finest guides you can ever imagine. Our guides were Jeannette Hanby and David Bygott, both Ph.D.'s, who have published and sketched in a number of books.
Jun 10th, 2005, 10:59 AM

I believe Patty did a trip with them. I would do a search using her name or just using the name of the company. I asked them for a quote as well, it came in a little higher that Roy's or Good Earth, but I am planning way in advance.
csuss
Jun 10th, 2005, 11:02 AM

I used Eastern and Southern Safaris based in Nairobi but this sounds like a different company. Can you tell us where the company is based?
Jun 10th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Hi Gluelace,

I saw this post and your other where you were trying to get the attention of alwaysafrica. I'm not sure if you have found this post yet, but they did indeed choose East African Safari & Touring and posted a long trip report (They actually didn't finish it, but there is plenty to go on

Here it is:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34569264

The outfit is recommended by lonely planet if I recall correctly (I think LP has a new tanzania guidebook out - if you have a megabookstore closeby, I would have a quick look).

I am using them for a shortish safari this fall based on alwaysafrica's experience and other references. They seem to be a smaller outfit, lots of experience in Tarangire (they operate one or two camps there?) and are quite flexible and helpful.

Lots of people here at Fodors often recomend Roys and I am sure that they provide very good service. I personally didn't have a good experience communicating with them. I was bumped to their US agent who frankly wasn't all that great and negated some of the reason for booking direct in Africa - lower prices and keeping the money in the hands of African entrepreneurs. She also tried hard to upsell me on the accomodation - I don't know about you, but I don't need gourmet food to enjoy my vacation! Roys is also on the high end price wise of local operators.

But remember, I'm just one opinion.

Lawrence

Jun 11th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone! sorry for this late reply but consider I'm in Italy. I've been reading the report of alwaysafrica... amazing... can't wait to go on with that. 'Til now Roy seems to be the best referenced outfit here too, staying at what reported by Italian virtual forums. Maybe my request for quotation to Roy was wrong or misleading, because I only asked for a lodge safaris and they promptly answered that the only solution in August is through public campsites, since lodges are fully booked already. On the contrary Eastco quoted a mix of private campsites and lodges, that looks to meet my need of minimum comfort as well. They seems to be more flexible and available to tailor any option, even with a limited budget. I've already bought May 2005 LP version of Tanzania but I did not have time to read it ... too excited to have some effective feedback from people who's back before!
Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:30 AM

We have booked a 3 week safari with EASTCO in February. Sounds very exciting with a combination of camping and lodges. I hope it lives up to expectations. It is difficult to find get info about the company, they seem to be small, Australian-run outfit based in Arusha. I chose them on the basis of a recommendation in the Lonely Planet guidebook.
Dec 2nd, 2005, 09:08 AM

utlending,
Make sure you read alwaysafrica's trip report (link posted above). They used EAST and had a great experience. Sounds like you'll be in good hands.

And do enjoy your adventure. It would be great if you could check in to let people know how your trip went when you return...
Dec 2nd, 2005, 09:17 AM

Hi Gluelace and utlending!

I'm SO sorry that I somehow didn't read this original post (sometimes when I'm busy at work, I only read the subject lines, and answer the ones that are clearly something I'd be able to help with...). Gluelace, yours must have slipped by and I'm sorry I wasn't of help - I know that as of now, I'm one of the few on this board who have used East African for a long, customized trip.

Utlending, I'm so glad that you have booked your trip with East African - and that someone recommended reading my trip report (I know it was never finished - I even made a promise to Kavey, started the continuation, and then fell into the same trap... I WILL finish it one day soon - I promise!).

Anyways, I'm sure our trip report sums up the majority of what you'd need to know about the company, so I won't go on and on here, but suffice it to say that they organized the trip of a lifetime for us. It wasn't perfect (I don't think any trip in Africa is ever perfect), but it was wonderful and magical and I recommend the company (and particularly our guide George).

Utlending (and Gluelace too, if you've decided on an itinerary), please make sure to post your itinerary - I'd love to take a look (as I know others would too!), and feel free to ask me any questions (now that I know this thread is here!) and I'll do my best to answer anything you need to know...

I'm very envious!

Jenn
Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:05 AM

ttt for research
Dec 8th, 2005, 04:48 AM

I wasn't able to find East African Safari and Touring Company listed as a member of TATO. Does anyone know if they're associated? I'd like to consider them for a safari but I'm hesitant since there are so many other recommended organizations which are members of TATO.
Dec 8th, 2005, 05:07 AM

DJ

EASTCO has a TALA license which is by far the most important!

To be listed as a TATO member a company must provide listing information (in addition to the application). Maybe EASTCO just neglected to provide the listing info!
Dec 8th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Jenn, don't feel too guilty - I went back to my unfinished 9 week trip report at that same time but didn't see it through either!

Search this Thread