RE: Rwanda Plans / Up charges?

Nov 10th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

RE: Rwanda Plans / Up charges?

I have all of the prices for my hotels, permits and car and driver as foiund on the internet and later quoted by Joyce at ITT. HOwever, now, when they put it all together and send me the final quote, the total comes out $400 more than the individual things' totalled Is this typical? don't the tour operators get paid a commission by the hotels etc.? I certainly do not want to begrudge anyone a living but I didn't experience wthis with my quotes in Kenya with african tour operators.
Nov 10th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I'd ask the operator to break down the quote for you.
Nov 10th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Get quotes from other operators or try to negotiate a better price with ITT. Competition between tour operators isn't as big in Rwanda as it is in Kenya/Tanzania just because there are fewer companies, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is more of a mark-up.
Nov 10th, 2006, 01:55 PM
sandi

Often prices found online can be wrong, not current or updated. However, if Joyce quoted a price reconfirming what you found online, I'd ask why there is a difference.

Maybe transfer charges, taxes/VAT (often not found on a website), whatever.

Ask, and see what she has to say.

Nov 10th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

thanks everybody! I have emailed Joyce to see why her total is $400 higher than the prices she quoted me.
Nov 12th, 2006, 12:38 PM

13moons, Joyce has been known to negotiate a little .... if you don't ask you dont get

Imelda
Nov 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks, Imelda!
I am sitting tight right now with her as it appears that they are adding a 15% fee on top of the base prices. I can pay for the permits myself and am not sure I need a car and driver each day at $150.00 per day. I think I will wait a bit and see what else I can arrange. I have been told that the lodges can arrange transportation to and from the Parc / trail head for $50 round trip so ??? I just need to see if I can make hotel arrangements in Kigali at Chez Lando and in Rhuhengeria at the Muharabura on my own. I am sure Joyce is great to work with but I am a bit annoyed that suddenly I find the prices inflated, given that I asked this question from the beginning and was told differently!
Nov 13th, 2006, 03:10 PM

I made reservations at the Murahabura on my own, just email or call. The number should be on the Rwandan Tourism website.
Nov 14th, 2006, 04:39 AM

It's fairly easy to arrange things independently in Rwanda, especially hotel accomodations.
Re the car, we LOVED having it for our two days and it was a definate lifesaver after losing our luggage (I really don't know how we would have managed without it) BUT, that said, it was a bit of a luxury ... if I were to go again I'd DEFINATELY hire a car for our arrival day and journey to the first Gorilla Treck and our final day back from PNV to Kigali.... just my 2cents!

Imelda
Nov 16th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. How does one arrange for a car and driver...wait til one gets there? It seems that I can basically make hotel, permits and air arrangement on my own so that jus leaves the car and driver portion for the first and last days? If I can do this too I can save around $300 - $400 and that adds up1
Nov 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM

I wouldn't wait until you get there. I'd just do it now if you want one for your first and last days. Contact ITT or Amahoro Tours or others mentioned on this site.

Although I'd probably skip it for your first day. Imelda did have an unfortunate time getting to Rwanda and it was good she had a driver...but hopefully for you you won't end up in Burundi

Seriously you can just get a cab from the airport to your hotel...you're not going to the PNV that day so I think you'll be wasting $160 for someone to take you to your hotel...since you'll probably be tired from your flight and want to relax. Use the $$$ for a car driver to/fro the PNV if you don't want to take a taxi or the bus.

Kigali is very easy to negotiate your way around and you really don't need a car and driver while you're in the city. Taxis are everywhere and it's a very safe city.