Addo Safari?

Nov 16th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Addo Safari?

Hi, me again...asking for more info-help-advice-opinions...thanks in advance.

I read somewhere that one can possibly get to see the Big 5 around Addo, (possibly the other 2 bigs - whales and dolphins) which is much nearer to Cape Town, than say, Kruger Natl Park.

Anyone out there with experience, knowledge, opinions of such? Heard too Addo area is Malaria free, which takes out a hassle out of Kruger, which seems to be a malaria zone.
Nov 16th, 2006, 06:11 AM

There are some lions at Addo now, but I cant imagine you will see Leopard. Malaria is not that big a deal, most people have no reaction at all to the medication.
Nov 16th, 2006, 06:14 AM
santharamhari

Hi! Although, i have not been to Addo....i dont think you can compare it to the Kruger or the Sabi Sands. You could probably go to Addo as an add-on if you were in the vicinity. But, for an authentic and fantastic game viewing experience stick to the private reserves around the Kruger area. Dont worry about Malaria. Just take the anti-malarials and head there.....infact if you go during their winter, the chances of seeing mosquitos are less....

Hari

Nov 16th, 2006, 07:25 AM

There are signs in Addo saying watch out for lions if you get out of your car - http://gardyloo.us/africa13J%20032.JPG - but we certainly didn't see any evidence of them when we visited Addo in September.

Addo is definitely "safari light" in that you can drive your own car around on excellent roads, see a lot of elephants, antelope, warthogs, and various other beasts; and there are indeed predators in the park. We enjoyed it very much, but would not compare it to Kruger or Kruger-area reserves.

Addo is a great addition/complement to the Garden Route - fly into PE, get a car and head back to Cape Town along the coast.

It's not in the malaria area AFAIK.
Nov 16th, 2006, 07:34 AM

greenham: In the general vicinity of Addo is the Kwandwe Private Reserve with three lodges operated by CC Africa. This is definitely Big 5 game viewing although leopard will probably be difficult but they do have frequent cheetah and wild dog sightings too and it is malaria free. The Ecca Lodge has been specifically recommended for families and is probably the best game viewing area in the eastern Cape. I have not personally been and it will not match the Sabi Sand experience that others have recommended but it should be fantastic, especially for first time safarigoers. I have been researching it as a good place to take my 12 year old and I imagine you are trying to find that good fit for your 13 year old which is sometimes different than where you would choose without the kid.

http://www.ccafrica.com/destinations...we/default.asp
Nov 16th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Just taken some visitors to Addo today, overcast and raining which is the worst time and saw loads of elephants including a baby.

Also saw the 3 lions, there is a board at the rest camp with today’s sightings, go drive the route.

As well as Addo visit one of the surrounding private game Reserves, Schotia is great and the budget option Kwandwe and Shamwari the most expensive, but I am constantly told that Rand per animal Shamwari is great value.

Malaria free is important for me I feel terrible when I take the tablets
Nov 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

As usual, great help guys! Thanks a million!