Balule

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balule

Have been looking for affordable games lodges for the August or September ( no children )
Elephant Plains, Gomo Gomo are booked. Budget is $300 night pp. Mohlabetsi Safari was suggested. I know Sabi Sands & Timbavati seem to be the areas recommended by most. Any opinions on the Balule Game Reserve?
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We've stayed in the Balule reserve a couple of times (friends of friends own a lodge there.)

The game viewing is not as non-stop as at Sabi Sands; leopards are not very common. However the variety is good and there is excellent birding to be had, if that's an interest.

We stayed last at Pondoro - http://pondoro.co.za - and think it's quite wonderful, and amazing value.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM
sniktawk

If you want good value for $300 per night try Zimbabwe.

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM

Hi, if you want to view game in the Kruger area, you could try Nottens in the Sabi Sands or Tangala in the Thornybush.
If you are also visiting Cape Town (and you should) maybe you could do the Garden Route from there and then finish up at one of the private game reserves in the Eastern Cape. Kariega is great and very good value.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

My concern was that Mohlabetsi Safari would not satisfy enough of my game viewing desire (to see the Big 5). I will admit the lesson stressed on this forum is don't procastrinate - when you see what you like, BOOK IT!! Good value lodges book fast. Thanks for the advice Gardyloo,sniktawk & SA_Guide.