Search

Questions about Tanzania

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Tanzania

I have some questions about an upcoming trip we're taking to Tanzania.
Has anyone ever stayed at Grumeti River Camp? Pros or Cons about it?
Also I've been told at Ngorongoro Crater, there are usually a lot of vehicles -- too many -- out at the animal sightings -- any advice or info on that? Or is the Crater a must-see so that doesn't matter?
Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:35 AM
sandi

Upcoming? What month?
Grumeti River is a lovely camp in the Western Serengeti which is ideal June thru July when the migrating wildebeest past thru/by on their way to the Masai Mara in Kenya. Other times, still a lovely camp, but not necessarily for major gae viewing.

The Crater. Yes, it's crowded considerig it's a contained area. It's a matter of how long you'll be visiting, as 1-nt is usually sufficient which allows at least a half-day Crater tour... then be on your way. If you arrive with time to visit the crater floor that afternoon, then overnight and be on your way next morning. If arriving late afternoon, overnight and do the crater floor next morning and be on your way after lunch.

With a very very early morning crater floor scheduled you can be down there as soon as it opens and probably have two-hrs to yourselves.

All depends on when you're traveling (months) and how much flexibility you have in making changes to your itinerary if it is already confirmed.

Old May 7th, 2006, 10:48 AM

I think the Crater is a must-see so the number of vehicles does not matter.

I have not been to the crater for 5 years but the number of vehicles did not ruin the experience for me at all. We were able to keep our distance from other and enjoy the abundance of game and beautiful scenery.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM

california9, you've got good advice from Sandi and atravelynn.

Wouldn't miss Ngorongoro Crater, with or without the crowds. The crater offers more than wildlife and from the pictures and descriptions is beautiful and offers history with Oldupai / Olduvai Gorge. If your goal, however is to see wildlife without crowds and this is a clear focus - have you thought about the southern parks in Tanzania (e.g. Ruaha, Selous). If solitary or more solitary viewing is not your goal, N. Circuit is a good choice.

Here's some links which talk about Ngorongoro Crater:
http://tanzaniatouristboard.com/plac...ves/ngorongoro

http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/na...gorongoro.html
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. We considered Selous, but our travel agent (who is in South Africa and has been to all these places) says game viewing is better in the Mobile camps on the Serengeti, so we're doing that and Grumeti and Ngorongoro. We hope to do Rwanda and the gorillas after that.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:47 AM
sandi

You still don't say when you will be traveling. That can be a determining point for visiting anywhere in Africa. Some months are better at one camp/lodge vs another.

Old May 8th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Dear Fellow Californian,

Definitely go to the crater. It is well worth the visit and believe me when you go to the Serengeti, you will see the contrast.

I was the only one in our group that had been on safari before and I was thrilled that the newbies got to see rhino in the crater to complete their Big Five experience (in fact, I was jealous because I didn't see the Big Five until my second safari).
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

We're actually not going till a year from now (end of May-beginning of June 2007) but we're trying to plan it all now.
Thanks for all the advice!