Question about crossing between Kenya and Tanzania with multiple operators

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are using Wildtrek in Kenya and Roy's in Tanzania for our June Safari. We arrive in Nairobi and are to be transfered to Giraffe Manor for our first night. Then we are to fly from Nairobi to Tortilis in Amboseli. After Tortilis we are to be driven to Lake Manyara Tree Lodge in Tanzania. Question: Can someone explain how the transfer will be handled between Tortilis in Amboseli with Wildtrek to the border at Namanga with Roy's? I have emailed Roy's and Wildtrek but thought I'd try for immediate satisfaction by asking the experts here. I know that we will be met at border by Roy's guide in a Land Rover, but wonder how Wildtrek will get us there since we are flying into Tortilis. Will we use Tortilis guides for game drives then have a shuttle to the border, or will Wildtrek have a guide and Land Rover waiting at Tortilis for us for both game drives and the transfer to the border. I certainly hope we won't have to ride a bus! Sandi - Haven't you used both Wildtrek and Roy's?
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:20 AM
sandi

JazzDrew -

It can be either. You use Tortilis guides/vehicles and Tortilis does the transfer to the border, or Wildrek might send a vehicle/driver. Though, the latter would seem unlikely - to my mind, it isn't really practical. The Tortilis guides are more than qualified to provide the gameviewing during your visit.

When your stay at Tortilis is complete, you will be transfered to the Namanga border where the driver will take you to Passport control; then hand you over to the Roy's driver/guide and vehicle, and you'll be on your way. There's a kind of "no man's land" between where one leaves you, the other meets you - real easy.

No need to worry that you'll be left at the border fending for yourself - just doesn't happen. But don't hesitate to have the outfitters clarify for you.

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi. Actually Sanjay from Roy's emailed the answer for me and things do sound easy. I suppose I just got a little nervous about being stuck at the border with an anxious wife and 11 year old! At any rate it turns out that Wildtrek will meet us at the airstip in Amboseli, do our game drives and drive us to Namanga where they will assist with the border crossing and connect with Roy's safari.

Thanks again for the info.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:45 PM

When we crossed from Kenya into Tanzania at Namanga, there was a fullback-size guy running the office on the Tanzanian side who would have given Idi Amin a run for his money. He was offensive, overbearing, and bullying. Fortunately, we had been warned about him, had been told to just answer his wisecracks with silence, and say as little as possible. Seems he got his kicks out of badgering tourists and had his hand out for bribes, if you know what I mean. When I looked him straight in the eye, he folded, stamped my passport, and didn't give me a hard time. Others, however, wilted and he toasted them.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 05:07 AM
sandi

JazzDrew - Knew that Roys or Wild Trek would have the exact info. Know that the WT driver will depart NBO a good three hours earlier then you so he can be waiting for you when you land at Amboseli. It will all go quite smoothly.