4WD for Kenya Safari

Mar 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

4WD for Kenya Safari

When I contacted some Tanzania tour operators many said they used Land Rovers or Land Cruisers. But I contacted 5 operators in Kenya and only one used Land Cruisers and had a substantially higher quote. (This is for a private 2-person 4 night Masai Mara safari at Serena).

Naked Wilderness, Raylenne, Wild Trek and Eastern & Southern all use minibuses. Only Gametrackers uses 4WDs.

My question is I guess who else I should try and whether 4WDs are just less popular in Kenya. That seems odd since you can go off-road in Kenya and so it would seem more useful. Should I expect to pay a large premium for a 4WD?

Thanks for all help.

Lawrence
Mar 14th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Some of those minibuses are 4WD. If you specifically want a Land Cruiser or Land Rover, then there's usually a surcharge in Kenya. I seem to recall we were quoted approx. $100 per day (maybe a little more) additional for a Land Cruiser by one of the safari operators we had contacted.
Apr 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM

If it is the 2wd drive, most likely you are going to be stuck to less adventurous turf, not as gifted driver/guide(read one only) and should also be cheaper. 4x4 will allow access and viewing that the other vehicles will not. You should also have a driver and a guide/spotter.
Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:47 AM
sandi

If only the two of you doing 4-days in the Mara and staying at the Serena, the 4WD (even 2WD) minibuses work well. You'll be on national park/reserve lands (the Serena is located inside the Mara) so a spotter (for nite game drives) isn't required; for that matter there are few places in East Africa that use spotters... your guide/driver is expert at spotting and driving, all at the same time.

Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:08 PM

sunny days
I guess to illustrate why a driver and guide/spotter included would be better.
I had an appointment to meet a friend at one of the lodges in the Serengeti. I decided to take a ranger with because I was quite close time wise to the lodge. Arrived late because the ranger kept on seeing game. I'd look at him-he would be staring into the distance. Can't see a thing. What is it. Leopard... ...maybe.Yep leopard sleeping in a tree. Again he is staring. What now.... cheetah ... ...maybe. Yep cheetah sleeping in the shadows of a tree.untill we got close each time, I couldn't see the animal. And this went on till we got to the lodge. Over an hour late. Its now lunch time and everyone is sitting down to lunch. Our rangers are chatting it up and laughing.They have been listening to the conversations at the other tables. Several people haven't seen lion yet. Others were given tales of the flora and fauna that must of been on another planet. Africans don't like to give an 'I don't know' and would rather make up something instead. A guide would know where to find and see that ellusive game that many drivers/guides/spotters from Dar cannot do. We went our separate ways and the ranger said just as we are leaving-would you like to see some lion.Sure,why not. We hadn't departed the property yet and there is a culvert under the road. I drove next to it. 3 lionesses during th heat of the day sleeping. This observered as minibuses drove past in their search for the ellusive game of the Serengeti.

Search this Thread