Private vs Group Safari

Feb 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Private vs Group Safari

Hi everyone-- you have helped on so many of my questions and I have finally decided on a Tanzania & Kenya Safari combo for 9-12 days in Sept. Since it is just 2 of us (maybe 4)-- I think we would prefer a group tour-- it is always fun to get to know others and share experiences. But with a private safari-- we can plan and go as we want. So what suggestions do you all have-- Any experience with either type if only 2 or 4 travel together. Any "group" tour companies to recommend? Help!! I thought this was going to be so easy--

Thanks!
Linda
Feb 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM

Hello,

I'd always choose a private safari over a group tour -- there is so much more flexibility, both in terms of scheduling and choosing accommodation. Most of the group tours stay in large hotel-like lodges and use mini-vans, which may not be the kind of trip you want.

With 2 or 4 people, the increase in cost for a private safari will be minimal, and you'll be able to do exactly what you want to, when you want to.

Cheers,
Julian
Feb 8th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I would recommend a private departure. You'll still be able to interact with others at your camps, get to know them, and share experiences. To me, planning and going as I want is more important than sharing experiences with others in the vehicle.

If you decide upon a group departure, Natural Habitat, Overseas Adventure Travel, Micato (just Africa and rather expensive), Globus/Brendan are some group companies. I've gone with Nat Hab on trips elsewhere with great success.

Please post again as your itinerary develops.
Feb 8th, 2006, 10:13 AM

busybee,
Someone recently returned from Tanzania with Good Earth and it sounds like they had a "shared" safari, perhaps using one of Good Earth's set departures. They shared their vehicle with two Germans who were camping while they stayed at lodges. I will try to dig the thread up for you.

I'd rather have a private safari, but I'm a little shy.
Feb 8th, 2006, 02:37 PM

Hi busybee,

Here is the trip report from kstyle who just return from a "group" safari with Good Earth. You might want to ask her more questions about how they arranged this. Sounds like it worked out well for them.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...4&tid=34749526

Also, Jules who posts here, took a group trip to TZ and Kenya ( think) with 2afrika. They are now planning a more elaborate 2nd trip, but they very much enjoyed their first safari as well.

Good luck.
Feb 8th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Hi busybee, Hey I like the sound of your name,
Leely u are a wizard at finding posts of trip reports, thanks for helping everybody, u are really a nice and helpful person
busybee, I would prefer a private safari but if u could team up with a couple and do a group safari it would also be very nice. Try to have a group of under 4-5 people so u have the flexibility as well as the company. You may be surprised that a group of 4 could cost less on a private safari compared to group departures of 8-12 people by reputed outfitters, Sonali.
Feb 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone-- I think private is the way to go-- I'm sure we will meet up with other folks at the lodges....
You are all AWESOME! I'll check out the links provided-- appreciate it!

Search this Thread