Private Guide/Driver: Amman/Petra

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be traveling to Amman for business and interested in a day-trip to Petra. Any recommendations for a private guide/driver in air conditioned sedan for the visit?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM

I'm sure your hotel's Tour Desk can arrange a day-trip with private driver and a/c vehicle. As I recall, once we arrived at Petra, there were guides available (part of your entry fee, which I believe was included in the fee paid for the entire tour) to take you through the site.

You have the option of taking a donkey with handler to the entrance of the Siq. To me the donkeys were just too nasty, so I decided to walk. We then walked thru the Siq and spent the balance of the day with our guide.

At conclusion of our time, returning to entrance of the Siq, the donkey handler was there to take my friend to the entrance gate, where she gave him a tip. We both gave the guide for tour of the site a tip and on return to Amman, a tip to our driver.

Before departing Petra we stopped at a local restaurant, which was included in the tour price.

It's a long day - we departed Amman before 9am and were back by dark... maybe 7-8pm. Worth every minute.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 02:27 AM

Hi there, if you're still looking to organise a guide/driver Jordan Tours are a brilliant independednt outfit who gave us a brilliant time on our family holiday last yearr. Check them out on the web not sure of site address..
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sandi and Birthdayboy!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

We ended up hiring a car and driver from the hotel. Hertz has an agency location in the Sheraton Al Nabil Hotel and Towers and in addition to cars, they also provide drivers. The trip was about 2 1/2-3 hours from Amman to Petra. We also stopped at Shobak Castle on the way to Petra. Total cost for the car and driver ran about 150JD or US$ 218 for the day.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Hi Lori S. Could you please tell me how you traveled around Jordan? We are thinking of booking an independent tour. What did you like best about Jordan?
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 11:52 PM

I was to Jordan two times earlier this year (Amman, Dead Sea, Jordan, Aqaba). I used International Traders as our tour guide/operator both times. They were EXCELLENT. Service, service, service! I have more information about the hotels and resorts and a ton of pictures at http://www.bombasticlife.com
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

kkarcalla,

We didn't use any tour groups, but arranged private drivers, etc. through the hotel. We never had any problems.

We had business in Amman, and then took day trips to Petra one day and then to the Dead Sea for dinner the next.

The people are very friendly, the country filled with history, and the food outstanding. I know I'll probably get some bashing for saying this, but Amman reminded me very much of Athens - lots of people, buildings, traffic - but with the same history, culture, food, etc. that made it worthwhile.

The one thing I'll mention is that the humidity and heat at the Dead Sea was steaming!! in August.

I'll be heading back there next week and hope to be able to see a bit more of a lovely country.