Search

Johannesburg Shopping and Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 03:03 PM
owl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johannesburg Shopping and Restaurants

Hello! We are interested in recommendations for restaurants and shopping in Johannesburg. We'll be there two nights at the Grace in Rosebank. We are interested in upscale shops with high-quality art. So far I have the following restaurants on my list (this year's award winners):
La Cucina di Ciro, Parktown North, Johannesburg
Yum, Greenside, Johannesburg
Moyo, Melrose Arch, Johannesburg

Thank you!
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 10:28 PM

Owl,

I am going to cut and paste a reply that I just made on another thread:

Author: Roccco
Date: 06/07/2003, 02:25 am
Message: I am writing this from the Michelangelo Hotel in Sandton Square, Sandton, Johannesburg.

I stayed in Rosebank last year at The Rosebank Hotel, a block away from The Grace. While I am sure that The Grace is a beautiful hotel, the area does not compare to Sandton.

Sandton is very beautiful and very convenient for dining and nightlife.
Since arriving yesterday, my wife and I have had the opportunity to literally walk right outside the Michelangelo into Sandton Square where there are beautiful shops and very good restaurants and even a theater.

Our room at The Michelangelo, a Premier Luxury Suite is absolutely beautiful with 2 bathrooms, a living room, walk in closet and a wonderful view.

Also, the restaurant at The Michelangelo is very elegant and the food wonderful--I just finished an African breakfast of Ostrich Eggs and Chipotla Sausage (warthog) along with all the fixings (freshly squeezed orange juice, spinach, potatos, wonderfully fresh fruit including pineapple grown in the Eastern Cape (I had to ask the restaurant manager where South Africans got their pineapple from since in my limited American mind I figured that all pineapple came from Hawaii, Central America or Southeast Asia).

I am having a wonderful time thus far and will be leaving for my Soweto tour in just about half an hour. Last night we were able to walk just outside the hotel and see a hilarious show called The Green Mamba at the Liberty Theater, a very small and intimate theater in Sandton Square that holds no more than about 150 people.

We have had no need to take a taxi anywhere as everything is right here to enjoy in Sandton Square.

The Michelangelo should definitely be considered at the top of anybodys list when choosing a hotel in Johannesburg.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 10:47 PM
owl
Original Poster

Roccco,

WOW! You're crazy writing notes from Africa!!!!!!!! Hey, guess what? I ended up booking a Shenton Safari for 2 nights (US$150 per person per night) before we begin our Robin Pope Safari. Between the two of us we'll be able to give the full scoop on safaris in Zambia. How did your Soweto tour go? Would you recommend that operator? We leave on the 28th!

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 11:09 PM
DE

Hi Rocco,

I was just thinking how quiet things would be on the african thread with you on your trip. Quite a surprise to see you posting from africa. Glad you like the accommodation and it's central location etc. We will be staying at the Michaelangelo as well during our trip. Do Enjoy the rest of your stay there and if it is convenient for you to post again, we would be interested to hear your observations, comments etc. DE

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 05:47 PM
caribtraveler

Hi,
1. Hyde Park mall, about 15-20 minutes from Rosebank. Small but very upscale.
2. Sandton mall, big, less upscale than Hyde Park's mall, but nice.
3. Rosebank mall, medium size, less upscale as well, but nice.
2 restaurants come to mind but their names escape me (I truly have bad memory!).
Anyway, at the Rosebank mall, there's a seafood restaurant to die for. It's not IN the mall, but on the side. It's next to an Italian place that does pizzas. That's not much help, I know. Sorry.
Also, there's a restaurant that is set in train cars (I think it's called "the train"??). Fabulous place. You have to love meat and you have to be adventurous to enjoy it. They serve every type of meats (the regular stuff plus crocodile, ostrich, etc..). It's a buffet-style restaurant (upscale though).

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 11:59 PM

Hello Owl
For general info the Rosebank area comprises The Mall, The Firs and The Zone. The Grace Hotel is right next to The Mall and all the complexes are virually linked together.
Restaurants first ...
I think caribtraveller is thinking of The Train Restaurant situated in Midrand. It used to be a wonderful place to try all sorts of interesting things but has deteriorated somewhat over the years and I would not recommend a visit. Also, Midrand is a good 30 minutes drive from Rosebank and in hellish traffic no matter what time of the day.
There are so many really good eateries in Jozi, with only two days you will be hard pressed to cover many. I can second the recommendation for Moyo, it is simply stunning. Also close to Rosebank is Parkhurst. The residents refer to it as "the village" and it really is like a small village in the middle of the city. It's also very easy to get to from Rosebank, just travel west on 7th Avenue (the Grace is on the corner of Tyrrwhit and Bath, and Tyrrwhit becomes 7th Avenue), and turn right into 4th. In this area my favourite it Cilantro (the grilled calamari is reliably heavenly). The seafood restaurant I think caribtraveller is referring to is the Ocean Basket. If you are looking for good seafood - go elsewhere. It is part of a chain and each outlet I have been to (including Rosebank) has been at best mediocre. If you want traditional steaks and grills (and their seafood is also good) try The Grillroom (also in the Firs). My favourite place in Rosebank is very un-South African but great fun, and that is Cranks. It is Thai and Vietnamese food done really well, and the decor is a hoot. To give you an idea the full name is "Crank's Mistress Motel". If you blush easily you may not want to look too closely at the Ken and Barbie dolls suspended from the ceiling.
Now onto shopping ...
I spent yesterday afternoon wondering around the Rosebank market, if you are in Rosebank over a Sunday or a public holiday you simply must include this in your plans. There are two rooftop market shops open during the week but the selection is not nearly as big as the complete market.
There are a number of excellent stores in The Zone, in addition to Polo and some other designer labels there are also South African designers. I like Stoned Cherrie (on your right as you go up the escalators), and the Young Designers Emporium is a place for up and coming local designers. There is a smallish gallery in The Mall, the name escapes me but it is situated opposite Nedbank. Otherwise your best bet for original art will be the rooftop market. As long as you don't buy that vibrant original of the two township jazz players I was admiring yesterday!
traci
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Vette4Paris

Posting from SA, only a day after arrival? Strange. What about the animals - when do you go to see them?

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 12:29 PM
caribtraveler

no the seafood restaurant was definitely not a chain restaurant and the name doesn't ring a bell so i don't think it was ocean basket.
and that's really too bad about the train restaurant...it was very nice when we went there.

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 11:37 PM

Okay! Light bulb just went on over my head! Caribtraveler - was it perhaps a Portugese style place called Villamora? There used to be a Rosebank branch in this area - but not anymore.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:14 AM
caribtraveler

YES! Villamora! That's it!
It's not there anymore??? that sucks! the food was REALLY good there.
Oh well...thanks for info traci..at least I won't send owl on a wild goose chase!