Plettenberg Bay in July 2011

Feb 6th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Original Poster
Plettenberg Bay in July 2011

Our family of four intend holidaying in Plettenberg Bay South Africa,in early July this year

We will be flying into Cape Town from London ,( 12 + hours flight)

I think we would be better staying in Cape Town for one night when we land and travelling on to Plett the next day?

Are the roads good between the two locations?

Any do's and dont's ?

Feb 6th, 2011, 09:35 AM
The drive from CT to Plett Bay is on good paved highway all the way - an easy 525km drive. We left CT at 7:00am and were in Plett Bay in time for a picnic lunch on the beach.

Actually, depending on how long you have (for your holiday), I would be tempted to spend three or four nights in Cape Town. There are many wonderful things to do there - a ride up to the top of Table Mountain is a must, as is a visit to Cape Point and the penguins and a drive along Chapman's Peak Drive. It would be a shame not to take advantage of landing in CT. If you google this forum, there are many "what to do in Cape Town" lists, including ones that are specific to children.

At the very least, I would definitely overnight in Cape Town and head out the following morning - it would be a shame to make the drive when you are tired and rushed - it is very scenic in places. It would also be much safer to wait until you have had a good sleep - I wouldn't want to tackle any ~six hour drive if I have just come off an overseas flight.

Here are driving instructions/distances from CT to Plett Bay:

Head east on the N2 from Cape Town over Sir Lowrey’s Pass to Swellendam (229km). The views at the top of the pass are lovely. At Grabouw (this is the fruit-growing region of SA), which is just beyond the pass, stop at the Country Orchard and the Peregrine Farm Stall. Both have wonderful fruit rolls, melktert (custard tart), biltong (air-dried meat strips), great breads, fabulous jams, pies, muffins, dried fruit, fresh produce, fresh apple juice and so much more.

At Swellendam, continue east on the N2 through Heidelberg and Riversdale to Mossel Bay (120km from Swellendam and 111km to Knysna). Mossel Bay is 406km/4 hours from Cape Town.

Continue along the N2 for 66km to the N12 turnoff to George.
**Watch for speed traps between George and Wilderness, especially in the Kaaimans River Pass just west of Wilderness.

Continue 12km east on the N2 to Wilderness (10 minutes) and then 21km further to Sedgefield. Continue east 12km on the N2 to Knysna. Mossel Bay to Knysna is 111km. In Ksnyna, take a drive to the eastern head via George Rex drive off the N2. You can park at the base of the Head and follow the walking trail that snakes along the rocky cliff just above the surf, or we can drive to the summit, where there is parking and panoramic views.

Continue east from Knysna for 33km to Plettenberg Bay.

Of the four times we have flown from Heathrow to CT, three times the flight has taken closer to 13 hours because of the wind. Be aware that you may be arriving a little later than you think.

Most important do and don't - don't rush what is a lovely drive, and do stop to admire the scenery! Robin
Feb 6th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I agree with all the above.

Do you realize it will be mid winter when you will be in Plett? We have been there in April (fall) and there wasn't a lot to see. I'm afraid it may even be worse in July.
If you want to hike in the Robberg Nature Reserve, make sure to wear very sturdy shoes and a good windbreaker. The hike is fantastic but it can be dangerous at times.

For the matter of weather I like the suggestion of canadian_robin to spend a few days in Cape Town first. Table Mountain, Chapman's Peak Drive, Cape Point, Boulder's Beach (penguins) ... it's all very worthwhile.

Mar 30th, 2011, 05:55 AM
I disagree with above.

I live in Plett and July is a beautiful time of year with lots to do. There is the Oyster festival ,it's whale watching season, there are loads of wonderful restaurants, Knysna is only 33 km away , there's the elephant and bird sancturay, tree top canopy tours and lots more. More importantly we have some of the best weather in the country over that time of year.
I wouldn't stick around in Cape Town too long unless you want to get blow away!

Have fun !
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:50 AM
Gordon, not sure where you are from (England ?) but driving this route is very easy but one pointer, if a faster car is behind you & wants to pass you pull over to the left side towards the verge giving them room to pass & when the manoeuvre is done they will flash the hazard lights to say thank you ! Driving in SA is much more courteous but try to avoid driving at night, wildlife can cause accidents.
Apr 5th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Driving is very easy in South Africa.I drove 1500 kms from Port Elizabeth to Capetown.It was a breeze,excellent highways and very little traffic in October.Even Capetown was no busier than Vancouver B.C>Drivers are very courteous.
I also agree spend more time in Capetown we spent 5 days and another week would not have been too long in November.July may be another issue for the weather.Enjoy

Search this Thread