Cruising from Dubai to Rome - need apparel advice

Apr 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Cruising from Dubai to Rome - need apparel advice

My wife and I are cruising on Regent from Dubai to Rome in May. We are relatively certain we will not be bothered by Somali pirates. But on a more serious note - we will be visiting countries with large Muslim populations (Oman, Egypt, Jordan) and my wife is wondering about appropriate dress. It will be hot in May. Are shorts acceptable? Does she need her arms covered? It is our first time in the region.
Apr 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM

Oman is the most conservative of the 3 Muslim countries and Egypt is probably the most relaxed. I am not sure of the "rules" for Oman or Jordan - but I'm sure someone will help out.

For Egypt, assuming you are just sightseeing in Cairo and not doing a Nile Cruise or going to a beach resort
- no shorts, for men or women
- for women - knees, upper arms/shoulders, and chest should be covered.

So - something like......capri pants with a shirt with sleeves almost to the elbows OR a short sleeved shirt with a light-weight longer sleeved coverup.

While hot, you will find that loose-fitting, lightweight cotton/linen clothing is much more comfortable than shorts/tshirts.

Also, it's helpful for women to have a headscarf (or shawl) for visiting mosques. Sandals are fine, but keep in mind that the streets, walkways, etc can be very dirty and dusty, not to mention rocky and uneven!
Apr 4th, 2011, 02:13 PM

My initial thought "are these folks crazy or is the cruise line?" So, let's not go there, do as you see fit.

As to attire, yes it will be hot and NO shorts nor abbreviated tops are acceptable once off the boat. With the heat, best to keep as much skin covered preferably with loose* fitting clothing; using repellent on any exposed skin. At minimum upper arm should be covered, as well as legs (crop pants for women are okay). Surprisingly, being covered with the brutal sun beating down on you, is more comfortable. Stay with light colors - white, tan, yellow - which don't attract the rays as would be something in black!

*gauzy type

In Egypt specifically, shorts on men are considered underwear and it wouldn't surprise if it's the same in Oman (never been) and Jordan (have been).

Have a wide brimmed hat, comfortable well worn shoes (avoid sandals as ground is often uneven and dirty), and always have bottled water with you and that I'm sure is readily available from the boat.

All this is not to say that you may see some tourist in inappropriate attire (there always are), but that's simply not respectful.

Safe journey!
Apr 4th, 2011, 02:15 PM

"repellent" should have read SPF, though having repellent is a good idea just in case.
Apr 4th, 2011, 02:47 PM

<>

That's the way it pretty much is all over the Middle East and central Asia.
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:30 AM

Grcxx3 - I assumed it was at the other two and farther afield!
Apr 5th, 2011, 11:45 AM

sandi -I figured you figured that!