Search

Cape Point

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Point

In your opinions what else are the 'must sees' on a trip from Cape Town down to the Cape Point? I would like to include a boat ride out to seal island, a walk with the baboons and a kayaking trip with the penguins. Would it be better to spread these activities over a two day trip? If so can anyone recommend a route which doesn't involve double backing on ourselves too much as I have accommodation booked each night in Cape Town?

Thanks!!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:14 AM

Assuming that you will drive yourself and assuming that you'll be kayaking from Simonstown, this is what I'd suggest as I do believe that splitting the activities over two days would be in your interest.

1) Seal Island & Cape Point.
leave Cape Town, driving west along the water front route, through Sea Point, Clifton, Camps Bay, LLundudno. Over suiker bossie hill and into Hout Bay for the seal island excursion.

Continue South from Hout bay around Chapmans peak drive (although I prefer to do this drive in the evening) continue through Noordhoek to Kommetjis, passing through Scarborough to Cape Point.

Return the same way using red Hill to get over to Simonstown, head towards fish hoek, however turn left at Glen Cairn until you get to Sun valley. Take the Silvermine pass to Tokai and use the back roads to get you to Kirstenbosch and then follow the highway back into town.

Day two. Take the highway toward muizenberg, also known as the blue route. Drive the coast road passing muizenberg, St james, Fish Hoek until you get to Simonstyown. Do the kayak thing, check out the penguins etc.

Return on the coast road as far as Kalk Bay, stop in for a drink and some munchies at the harbour. Exit by going straight up Boyes Drive, follow this to Tokai. You can either blue route it back, or yoou can go back riads to Constantia ending up at Constantia neck, go down into Hout bay and follow the coast road back through Clifton etc.

Some nice sights to be seen.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

mkhonzo - thank you very much for your comprehensive itinerary suggestion! That's exactly the sort of thing I was after. Yes we will be driving ourselves - can you recommend a reputable car rental company?
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM

there are many to choose from, the bigger names such as avis, herts, etc. I rented once from a Cape specific company and for the life of me cannot recall the name, it was at the time the least expensive.

These days I am fortunate enough still to have friends in the Cape so I generally borrow a car. Last trip in Dec 05 I used a small car from avis.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 02:10 AM

When my sister visited me a few weeks ago in Cape Town, she rented a car with AVIS. Everything was top! www.avis.co.za