Please post East Africa Travel Operators Here...

Nov 26th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Please post East Africa Travel Operators Here...

While I know of some great operators to Southern Africa, offering very good prices, such as www.attractiveafrica, www.safarinow, www.tagasafaris.com, I don't have the first clue about quality operators to East Africa.

The only good looking travel operator that I have yet to come across is this one:

www.onsafari.com

The prices appear to be very reasonable on this site, judging from the rates on their pre-arranged tours. I have yet to have this company price out a customized itinerary, but that is my next move.
Nov 26th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

It appears that www.onsafari.com is also very good for South Africa. Here is an unbelievable 20 Day Itinerary featuring some of the best places such as The Grace in Joburg, Makalolo Plains in Hwange (Zimbabwe), the Victoria Falls Hotel (Zimbabwe), King's Pool Camp in Linyati (Botswana), Vumbura Main Camp in the Okavango Delta (Botswana), Chitabe Main Camp in Okavango (Botswana), The Plettenberg in Plettenberg Bay (South Africa), The Fancourt in George (South Africa) and concluding with the Cape Grace in Cape Town (South Africa). All transfers are included.

If done between January to March, this trip is only $5,815 USD per person. Given the very poor exchange rates right now, this is an amazing bargain, mixing 10 nights worth of safari with 10 nights at some of the finest hotels in Southern Africa.

I have been to Victoria Falls and Cape Town in March and I thought it was the perfect time. This works out to only $290 per person per night for the entire ground package for what, in my opinion, amounts to the finest lodging that one will likely find in any organized tour to Southern Africa that I have come across yet.

Very tempting, but now I need to find the East Africa equivalent!
Nov 27th, 2003, 02:26 AM
sandi

Roccco - see my reply to your post re the quote received. There are names of tour operators that can help with alternative quotes.

Nov 27th, 2003, 04:32 AM
sandi

Roccco -

In addition to the site listed in my other reply, for Tanzania porperties try

www.e-gnu.com *
*they don't list Sand River (Selous) but can probably get a price

Note that indicated on the View Prices page there is a comment to "check discounts available"

Upon further reading, since Tarangire Tree Tops is outside the Natl Park, they do Night Drives - but the negative about this camp is about a 1-hr drive from the Park after having entered the main gate, driving safari thru the park, then exiting the other end.

So unless you can fly from here to Arusha/Kili for connection to Dar, you have to do the 1-hr drive to the Park, thru the park (however long that takes) and out onto the main road back to Arusha (about 100-miles so at least a 1-1/2-hr drive).

Nov 27th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Sandi,

In the quote I received, the operator has me starting out with my first night in Dar Es Salaam, but then going straight to the Western Serengeti, followed by the Ngorongoro Crater, followed by Tarangire, and all with road transfers, somehow getting to Selous, without stopping over in Dar, and then ending in Zanzibar.

I do not want Zanzibar, but this tells me that it is possible, although I do not know if it is desirable, to not lose any days in the middle in Dar.

I like this itinerary very much offered by On Safari.com:

Ultimate Tanzania Experience

Day 1: Arusha

Days 2 - 3: Tarangire

Days 4 - 5: Ngorongoro Conservation Area

Days 6 - 7: Southern Serengeti

Days 8 - 10: Northern Serengeti

Day 11: Arusha - Depart

Click here for day by day itinerary

Journey to Tanzania, where the complete African safari experience is truly represented on this safari incorporating many of Tanzania?s highlights, including game reserves and national parks such as Tarangire - with an amazing array of birdlife; Ngorongoro Crater - the unique, biodiverse amphitheatre; and the Serengeti, the setting of the annual wondrous wildebeest migration; You stay at up-market luxury accommodation throughout, including tented mobile camping on the Ngorongoro Crater Rim and the Southern Serengeti at private campsites. These private mobile camps provide the freedom to camp closer to the best game viewing areas year-round. Walk-in, tailor made safari tents with top quality portable toilets and solar-heated showers are used to maintain a comfortable standard of luxury, even in the middle of the African savannah. Your camp is set up in advance so that when you have finished your activities for the day ? be it game drives, extended mountain bike trails or walking safaris ? you are not lacking in any of the comforts you require. You are accompanied by expert safari guides who guarantee an interactive wildlife experience, inclusive of game walks and night drives in open land. A highlight of your safari circuit includes a visit to the luxury Migration Camp, which overlooks the Grumeti River in the Northern Serengeti. The camp is sited right on the migratory trail of the Serengeti wildebeest, perfect for fantastic game viewing. Your mobile safari allows you to follow the route of the wildebeest on the Seronera Plains. This is a fantastic introduction to the ecosystems, terrain and wildlife of Tanzania.

Price Per Person:
(double occupancy) $3535

Single Supplement: On request

Departure Dates: Daily as available; Minimum two travelers

Tour Type: Independent

Flights Included: Seronera - Arusha

Activities: Birding, Cultural, Day Game Drives, Night Game Drives, Walking

Travel Style: Deluxe

Activity Level: Moderate

---------------------------------------

I would try to add four nights in Selous at the end, costing perhaps an additional $1,900 per person, but still only a combined cost of $5,450 per person, including all transfers.

The lodges included in this tour are:

Arusha Coffee Lodge (1)
Tarangire Treetops Lodge (2)
Ngorongoro Mobile Campsite (2)
Southern Serengeti Seronera Mobile Campsite (2)
Northern Serengeti - Migration Camp Lodge (2)

In the end, if I combined this itinerary with four nights at Selous River Sands Lodge, I would still have eight nights of luxury lodging (River Sands 4, Tarangire Treetops 2, Migration Camp 2), with four nights at the mobile campsites and one night at Arusha Coffee Lodge, worth about $175 per person per night when checked on other websites.

I don't even think I would need a night in Dar Es Salaam anywhere along this trip. Therefore, this trip is just as long as the one that I posted that cost $15,450 USD ($7,725 per person), minus Zanzibar. So, while that trip may have cost me $6,950 USD per person, with the only difference being luxury accomodations in Ngorongoro Crater and at Grumeti River Camp, THIS itinerary will only cost me about $5,450 per person, a $1,500 per person savings.

I don't think I will find it much cheaper than this but I will look a little more, but not too much.
Nov 27th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

On further review, I may need a night in Dar or Arusha at the end of the itinerary before making my way onto Selous:

To summarize, my itinerary would likely be the following:

Arusha Coffee Lodge (1)
Tarangire Treetops Lodge (2)
Ngorongoro Mobile Campsite (2)
Southern Serengeti Seronera Mobile Campsite (2)
Northern Serengeti - Migration Camp Lodge (2)
Arusha Coffee Lodge? (1)
Selous River Sands Lodge (4)

Does this itinerary work??? The thing I like most about this itinerary is that the only flights are going back to Arusha at the end and then going to and returning from Selous.

Whaddya think???????
Nov 27th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Adding that final night in either Arusha or Dar Es Salaam, I am still likely at $5,600 per person for the 14 night itinerary, or $400 per person per night.

I guess that is as good as it will get for an itinerary that shows me so much and features 10 nights of luxury (8 while on safari) lodging and four nights of mobile camping while on safari.
Dec 4th, 2003, 07:58 AM

We just returned from a 13-day trip with CCAfrica and it was spectacular - 9 days in the bush at top properties (Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, Lake Manyara Tree Lodge, Kichwa Tembo, Kleins Camp) for approx. $3500 pp excluding airfare (but including all transfers to and from airports and airfare between lodges, all meals and drinks, and a hot air balloon ride).
Dec 4th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

hlphillips,

Welcome home and glad to hear you had a great trip. I was finally able to get a very good price of $4,379 per person that includes ten nights in the bush at top properties, two nights in Zanzibar at Emerson & Green and one night in Arusha at Arusha Coffee Lodge. Here it is:

PROGRAM
June 05th - Morning Arrival To Kiliminjaro Airport (JRO). Transfer to Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
June 06th - Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
June 07th - Transfer to Western Serengeti. 4 nights at Kirawira.
June 08th - Kirawira
June 09th - Kirawira
June 10th - Kirawira
June 11th - Schedule flight 1450hrs to Zanzibar 1735hrs
Transfer to Stone Town, Zanzibar. 2 nights at Emerson & Green Hotel. Top floor (3rd floor) room requested.
June 12th - Emerson & Green
June 13th - Transfer to Zanzibar airport for 1400hrs, arrival 1515hrs
Selous Game Reserve. 4 nights Sand Rivers
June 14th - Sand Rivers
June 15 th - Sand Rivers
June 16 th - Sand Rivers
June 17 th - 1545hrs flight to Dar and connect onto Kilimanjaro
Transfer to Kiliminjaro/Arusha. 1 night at Arusha Coffee Lodge.
Coffee lodge is not operating well, I would recommend Mountain Village
or Dik Dik Lodge
June 18 th - Transfer to Kiliminjaro Airport for departing flight home.
END OF ITINERARY
__________________________________________________ ____
Total Package cost as per program above,
June 5th to June 19th, 2004
Cost per person in double: USd 3838pp
Plus schedule flights costs: Usd 540
Arusha /Zanzibar /Selous /Dar /Arusha

TOTAL LAND PACKAGE COSTS: Usd 4379
Dec 4th, 2003, 02:15 PM

Rocco,
glad to see the last itinerary requests a top floor room at Emerson and Green.
The top floor rooms are very lovely, the one we stayed in had a hugh bath and open wooden grillwork instead of walls. Across the way was another room that one reached by a small bridge. You should know however, that because they have music and traditional dancing in the fabulous small roof top restaurant, there may be some noise in the top floor rooms.
We were in the room directly below the resaurant and we still enjoyed every minute.
Hope that helps.

Search this Thread