Please help! Kenya or Tanzania

Jun 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Please help! Kenya or Tanzania

Hello. My daughter and I are planning a first time safari trip, the time we go is flexible, but we have itineraries for September, October or November 2008.
I am so confused now about which one to go on. They all sound fantastic and I just can't pick which one we would enjoy the most.
Please, anyone who has been there, which would you recommend?
Main objective (of course) game viewing. One company is saying Kenya beginning of October and the other is saying Tanzania October, November time. Another one is saying Kenya in September.
I am totally at a loss as to who to choose. This is a huge thing for me to be doing as I will be spending my savings on this once in a lifetime dream trip.
Thank you to anyone who can give advice.
Jun 26th, 2007, 09:15 AM
cw

Hi Feistybrit,

Here's a link with information about when to go where.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

And take a look at the East Africa trip report index here.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34860283

CW
Jun 26th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Kenya is best in September and into October. Tanzania in the northern Serengeti gets better as the herds return to this area in November.

Don't believe each itinerary is the same, so why not post the different ones offered, along with the accommodations and the prices (as by month the costs can change)... it'll be easier for us to comment and offer suggestions.
Jun 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.
Here are the itinerary samples.
First Tanzania.

Day 1
Kilimanjaro / Arusha
Arumeru River Lodge

Day 2
Arusha / North Serengeti
Migration Tented Lodge
Air Excel flight: Arusha to North Serengeti

Day 3
North Serengeti
Migration Tented Lodge

Day 4
Central Serengeti
Mbuzi Mawe Tented Lodge

Day 5
Central Serengeti
Mbuzi Mawe Tented Lodge
Hot Air Balloon Ride - Optional

Day 6
South Serengeti / Ngoro Crater
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge

Day 7
Ngorongoro Crater
Plantation Lodge

Day 8
Lake Manyara / Arusha / Kilimanjaro
Arumeru River Lodge (Day Room)
Depart Kilimanjaro International Airport in the late evening

This one was about $5050k pp but does not include international airfare.

The Kenyan itinerary was mailed to me.
I have it memorised regarding places though and it is as follows.

Days 1, flying overnight

Days 2 and 3 ll Ngwesi

Days 4 and 5 Loldia lake house and cottages, Lake Naivasha

Days 6,7,8,9 at Governors Camp.
Leaving on day 10.
I don't know if that helps?

This one includes flights from London (which is where my daughter is located, and I am in the US so would fly to London to meet her ) and that is about $6790.00 It also includes fly-ins to the diffferent locations and use of a private vehicle and driver on the game parts.
These are also for Deluxe or Luxury accommodations as it was suggested that if this was a once in a lifetime trip we may enjoy that more, and I agree. Well actually, my daughter is the one who wants the luxury, I'd be happy in a tent.

I will check the links that were posted too, but to be honest the more I research the more confused I become.

Jun 26th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

CW, they were extremely helpful links. Thank you very much.
Sandi. Thanks for your reply. I don't know if I gave you enough info, let me know if you need more.
Jul 24th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Hello everyone.
I just thought I'd give an update as a first time safari trip bookee.

After much debate my daughter and I decided on Tanzania. We have settled on Kiliwarriors as our outfitter, agent or whatever the correct terminology is.
I originally was thinking of going for less time but more luxurious accommodations, including the Ngorongore Crater Lodge, but I decided against that, as I thought once my daughter sees that I would NEVER be able to drag her back to reality.

We both wanted different things out of this so it was difficult finding a compromise.
Ami, my daughter wanted luxury all the way, whereas I preferred more rustic, camping type of ideas.
She is in England and I am in the States so I still haven't decided where we will fly to Kili from either.

So, after deciding whether I would go on the trip myself, advertise for someone to come with me, drag my daughter kicking and screaming on a camping safari where I could throw her to the lions if she drove me bonkers, or whether to try and find something in the middle of those options, this is what we settled on.

Here is the itinerary.

Day 1. Arrive Kilimanjaro. Mountain Village.
Day 2. Arusha, Mountain Village, leave for Tarangire.
Day 3. Tarangire, either Tarangire Safari Lodge or Sopa.
Day 4. Tarangire, Tarangire Safari Lodge or Sopa.
Day 5. Ngorongoro. Sopa Lodge
Day 6. Ngorongoro. Sopa Lodge
Day 7. Fly to Serengeti. Sayari Camp
Day 8. Serengeti. Sayari Camp.
Day 9 - Day 12. Serengeti Suyan Camp.
Leave Day 12 by air to Arusha.

I have read so many different opinions about whether Sopa's are better than Serena's etc, and in the end I decided that for our budget and the time we are going, this will be fine. I am not going to lounge about in the lodge rooms, I want to be out and about meeting the Masai and seeing the wildlife in it's natural environmnent. I want to learn more about the culture and just see what the Serengeti is like in real life and not just on tv.

I went with this one because I like the more off the beaten track, private type idea of a safari. We may have to drive a bit, but that's fine. We fly too.

I chose Kiliwarriors because they had good reviews for the adventure migration trips and Eben has been wonderful.

This website, namely the people that post on it are so helpful and I love coming here to read people's itineraries, and the trip reports.
I absolutely cannot wait to start our trip, but at the same time I am happy to wait because I am sure it will be over far to quickly.
I know I will never be able to afford this again so I intend on making the most of every second.

Oh and I don't know about you regular safari goers, or even those that have just planned their first trip, but for me it was really hard telling the other companies we had not chosen them as they were all wonderful. It was the most difficult thing, trying to decide who to go with, or whether to go to Kenya or Tanzania.
So, we are off to Tanzania, at the end of October, beginning of November 2008.
I just bought travel insurance from STA travel too. I got their name on here.

Thanks to everyone who posts here.
Take care

Sue.

Jul 24th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Looks like a great trip. Will you adopt me? I promise to never suggest luxury accommodations. We met Wilbert, Eben's partner, in Arusha last summer; he's great. Also briefly met his mom, sister, nephew--you'll love the Kiliwarriors.

Have fun!
Jul 24th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Can you tell us the dates too for the itinerary?
Jul 25th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Leely...Sure I will adopt you. You can't be more difficult to please than my daughter!

Atravelyn...the dates (we have not booked the international flight yet, will be within a day or so of the suggested itinerary) are Oct 30th through to November 10th 2008.

Sue