Egypt Safety?

Jun 5th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Egypt Safety?

I was in Egypt last summer and absolutely fell in love with the place and I want to go back this summer. I can't however say that I felt completely safe all the time. I am a dual American/Israeli citizen, and I had the "fortune" of arriving from Jerusalem 2 days before the start of last summer's unfortunate and senseless war. On the day before I left Egypt, people were burning American flags in the streets of Cairo and things became just a bit tense as a lot of hatred of Israel and the US came out. In short, I got by by telling people I was Canadian (I had buried my Israeli passport in my bag anyway and I didn't share with anyone that I was an Israeli citizen).

I am quite aware that the vast majority of Egyptians are peace-loving, moderate, generous and extremely welcoming people. I am also aware that the minority of fanatics who ruin it for everyone create a serious danger to tourists - especially Americans, Israelis, and Jews - and that literature with burning American flags is sold at every other kiosk in Cairo.

What can anyone who has been there recently (Americans, specifically) tell me about how it was for them? Have things calmed-down a bit, or is going not a particularly bright idea? I would be happy to hear any advice.
Jun 5th, 2007, 04:42 AM

Both Debbie Senters & I are Americans living in Cairo. Things are fine. Nothing to worry about. A few times a year, the Embassy tells us to avoid areas occasionally b/c of demonstrations, but they're much more likely to be anti-Egyptian government than anti-American. If that happens, you just avoid the areas for that day.
Jun 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM

We are planning a visit to Egypt in October. Is that a good time? Is a tour the best way to see the major sights. What time should be allowed? Any help you can offer is appreciated. Tour books, hotels, sights. Thank you
Jun 5th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Sunshine is exactly right. I feel very safe and very well accepted. I am not Jewish or carrying an Israeli passport, and I can imagine if you were, you would feel more under a spot light than the typical American would.

In general though, I think it is safe here for Americans. I'm a big ol' chicken and wouldn't stay if I thought it was dangerous - or more dangerous than any large city in America. I feel much safer here.
Jun 7th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Hi,
We just returned from a 13 day visit to Egypt and 4 days in Jordan and never felt safer. The security is amazing, and perhaps a bit much, but I felt safer there than in many other places we've visited. Enjoy!
Jun 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM

At least you did not fall for the money-for-sex scams that poor curiositylover did.

Jul 25th, 2007, 02:53 AM

Just back from eight days in Egypt and the presence of the Tourist Police wherever you go makes you feel safe while reminding you that safety is not a "given". Tourism is Egypt's second greatest source of revenue (after the Suez Canal) and they're working hard to protect it. In Cairo, we had a plainclothes uzi-packing guard assigned to or group of eight, again making us conscious of possible problems. But, then, the barriers at hotel driveways and X-ray scanners for your luggage make you quite aware of security needs as well. Never a feeling of anti-American other than the humorous "OK George Bush" from certain street vendors when you shoo them away.