Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Planning trip to SA from 3rd week Nov 2002. Need help, please.

Planning trip to SA from 3rd week Nov 2002. Need help, please.

Aug 15th, 2002, 08:01 AM
winnie

Planning trip to SA from 3rd week Nov 2002. Need help, please.

Hi there,

My husband and I are planning on travelling to SA from 3rd week November 2002 for 10/12 days. I have gone through a lot the threads here and hv also printed pages and pages of useful info. I realize that most of you here either drive yr way around/go on personalised tour or take a package tour all the way from home.

We intend to fly to Jo'burg (we have enough airmiles from frequent flyer program to do that and the points are expiring Dec 02
We would like to join a local tour (like Grayline kind of tour packages) instead of a personalised tour as it is rather costly. Would anyone here hv websites of tour companies that cater to our needs?

What is the weather like (temperature etc) in end Nov? Is it going to be hot?
Thank you in advance for your replies.

Aug 15th, 2002, 11:24 AM
coconut wireless

Well we are going in December and I have
been planning for probably 7 mos.
I would definitely go to Krueger and Capetown. You can fly from JHb to CPT
and if you want to go up the Garden Route you can look into the Baz Bus which is what we are going to do. Try
a couple of local Tours Legendg Tours, Green Turtle Tours, Rainbow Tours that offer wineland trips out of Captetown, etc. Hope this helps.
Aloha
the coconut wireless

Aug 18th, 2002, 01:51 AM
james

Definitely get down to Cape Town for a few days, and do the Winelands as well. The weather should be very warm/hot. You really can drive yourselves easily in SA, but if you'd rather not, get in touch with the local tourism centre.

Aug 31st, 2002, 07:44 AM
Winnie

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies. Yes, we are thinking of Kruger as well and hv been checking with Legend tours.

Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:00 AM
traci

To answer your ques. on the weather - Nov is summer and it will be warm. Depending on where you go you can see quite wide ranges. The Kruger will be fairly hot. You can expect highveld thunderstorms in the afternoon which should cool things down before the evenings. Fortunately they are usually over pretty quickly and it should not rain for days on end. Cape Town should be great in Nov as the rainy season is over and at least it is before the hordes descend in December. Generally you can expect evenings in the low teens (that's celsius) and then daytime temps in the mid twenties. Remember the sunblock!

Sep 5th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Lynda

Hi:
I would like to recommend a tour guide that we used in South Africa. His name is Mervyn Sparks, and he was reasonable (private trip for four of us) and wonderful. His e-mail address is [email protected]; web site www.wholeinone.co.za Several people to whom I have recommended him have used him and had a great trip. He'll do any itinerary you want. You could just e-mail him for prices and suggestions.
Lynda

Sep 6th, 2002, 12:43 AM
mj

there is a new(ish) budget airline you can book online with excellent deals from JHB to CPT (you are mad if you don't go to cape town - it is heaven on earth!)

the url is http://www.kulula.com/

also, try thompsons. they are a major travel agent in s.a. - they have some brilliant deals, a lot of which are for south african residents only, but i still managed to get an incredibly cheap 5 star safari deal through them.

http://www.thompsons.co.za/

have a great time. it's a beautiful country and i wish it were me going!

Sep 6th, 2002, 12:45 AM
mj

there is a new(ish) budget airline you can book online with excellent deals from JHB to CPT (you are mad if you don't go to cape town - it is heaven on earth!)

the url is http://www.kulula.com/

also, try thompsons. they are a major travel agent in s.a. - they have some brilliant deals, a lot of which are for south african residents only, but i still managed to get an incredibly cheap 5 star safari deal through them.

http://www.thompsons.co.za/

have a great time. it's a beautiful country and i wish it were me going!

Sep 9th, 2002, 08:36 AM
chris

I was there last year and had an excellent tour and experience using Springbok Atlas Tours of SA.(website below)
http://www.springbokatlas.co.za/index2.htm
They have a variety of tours but I highly recommend Capetown, the Garden Route and Durban to J'Berg including Kruger. This covers several game drives and you can upgrade to a top notch lodge such as Sabi Sabi. Prices are very reasonable.

Search this Thread