October or November in Kruger and Cape Town

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of visiting Cape Town and Kruger. Can't decide between OCTOBER or NOVEMBER. Would appreciate info on differences in weather (humidity, temp., rain, etc), and animal viewing.Thanks
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 01:36 PM

Game viewing in Kruger is best done during the dry season or at the end of the dry season, i.e. October would be best as it starts to rain in November. Usually quite warm at that time of year.

Cape Town weather is as dodgy as all hell because it's unpredictable but October is still spring so you get to see it at its prettiest with magnificent flowers, and the fynbos at its best. (Fynbos is a very special floral group unique to the Cape - you must visit Kirstenbosch if you like flowers/nature.) If you plan on spending more than just a few days in Cape Town you are likely to get a good selection of weather in October, which means some excellent and some ... well, like I said, unpredictable. (Clothing tip: layers is the answer, add one wet proof jacket to your bag. You'll find clothing inexpensive here should you need to buy something. Evenings in Cape Town are cool as soon as the sun sets).

You would experience warm/hot weather in Kruger and a mixture of warm and cool in Cape Town, maybe even a bit of wet. Do NOT let this put you off - Cape Town is so fabulous (as is all of SA ) that it doesn't matter if you have a bit of wet weather - that's when you retreat into wine tasting and culture such as museums!

For more details on the exact temperatures in those months, check the official SA tourism website. http://www.southafrica.net/za/en/landing/visitor-home
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 05:30 AM

We are thinking Nov 9th-18th of November. Should we do April instead. I didn't want to wait that long.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 05:45 AM

I went last year from the last few days of September thru the first week of October. The flora was really lovely and the weather was great to be out walking- think high 60's most days. The area around Kruger was hotter. We were happy in shorts and a tshirt during the day but needed pants and a fleece when it was dark. Layers are the key to South Africa.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 05:52 AM

If price is an issue, you might want to check pricing for both.....October is high season in the Kruger area, I believe. Prices may dip in November. Check to be certain. I've been twice in late-September-mid October and found it ideal.