Botswana in early November

Feb 24th, 2019, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Botswana in early November

My husband and I have been on only one safari. We traveled independently to Tanzania for a birding/animal safari. We are seriously thinking about spending 2-3 weeks in Botswana and South Africa. We are thinking of spending about a week in Capetown taking excursions to see birds, etc. We would be in Capetown at the end of October and are thinking of spending the first half of November in Botswana. We are primarily interested in seeing the animals but would love to include birds if possible. Please share the pros and cons of travelling at this time of year. Should we be changing to August and September? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much.
Feb 24th, 2019, 10:28 PM

The green season in Botswana is April to October when game viewing is at its peak.Rains normally start in early November through March. So November should be good time too ( shoulder season), as there are better deals and offers in lodges and safaris.
Botswana, one of the best safari destinations is also the most expensive countries as far as wildlife experience is concerned .2-3 weeks is a lot of time unless you are planning a camping drive through safari from Gaborone to Maun and Kasane through the Khutse, the Central Kalahari, Savuti on to Chobe. Considering you have the time I would highly recommend you do it. There are plenty of tour operators offering this.

This of course is a unimaginable adventure,one would ever hope to experience the whole of the Botswana eco-system in one go!!. The flora and fauna is stunning,its encompasses the complexity and fragility of these habitats.This eco-region supports many of the charismatic large mammals associated with African savannas. While these species are not endemic,these including the critically endangered black rhinoceros, the cheetah the brown hyena. Predators range from smaller species such as African civet and Serval to lion,cheetah, leopard , African wild dog and both brown and spotted hyena.

From desert to delta the collage of birds in Botswana is truly amazing .Equally spectacular,a rich and colourful bird-life, with 468 species is said to exist.Though November is not the best of season, the country is still a host to plenty of avian heterogeneity.
Botswana is one amazing country one would not get enough off, despite many visits.
Feb 24th, 2019, 11:04 PM

I have in-laws in Cape Town, so have been there several times in different months of the year. The weather pattern in the Western Cape is completely different from that of northern South Africa and Botswana, with winter the rainy season. I was in Cape Town for a couple of weeks in October 2017, and the weather was still cool and becoming dry. November would be a little warmer, but weather in the Cape is very changeable, especially when the "Cape Doctor" blows in from the ocean.

I had previously been on safaris in East Africa, so modern Cape Town was a pleasant surprise. You can see wild African penguins at Boulders Beach in the Cape Peninsula, or at Betty's Bay a little further east from Cape Town. Boulders Beach is best combined with a drive to Cape Point and then spectacular Chapman's Peak Drive on the way back to Cape Town. You will probably see seals along the coast, and if lucky maybe some whales.
Feb 26th, 2019, 04:33 AM

A little rain is great for birding, actually.

You might check out this itinerary
https://www.birdingecotours.com/tour...toria-falls-2/
Feb 26th, 2019, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. We have a lot to think about.
Feb 26th, 2019, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. We are really excited.
Feb 26th, 2019, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. This was really helpful.
Feb 26th, 2019, 10:36 AM

I’ve never been much of a birder myself, but my trips to eastern and southern Africa stoked my interest. I enjoyed seeing the smaller birds such as carmine bee eaters and lilac breasted rollers just as much as the larger ones such as fish eagles and flamingos.
Feb 26th, 2019, 12:00 PM

Hello jandj,

November is a strong time of the year to visit Botswana, but it will certainly be very warm/hot with humidity as it's on the early cusp of the rainy season. Generally speaking, when the temperatures climb, the animals tend to be more sedentary making the drives less productive during the heat of the day. If you opt to go in August or September, the conditions should generally be drier and the wildlife more active throughout the day. Furthermore, the wildlife density in the Delta should be higher in August/September as wildlife will begin to disperse into other areas of Botswana once the rains arrive. With that said, if you can postpone your arrival into Bots until Nov 15, Ker & Downey Botswana Camp + Kwando Camps go on big sales making these two luxury portfolios exceptionally good value for money. If you guys are serious about your birding and wildlife viewing, Kwando has the most "hardcore" ethos towards the field experience.

If you travel on safari in August/September, then you will run into more unfavorable weather in Cape Town. It's a trade off, but if the prices of peak season isn't restrictive, the safari will be more productive and comfortable in August/September.

Kota Tabuchi