Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Planning Morocco itinerary - any advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working on an itinerary that is basically:

Arrive Marrakesh - half day tour in afternoon

Either one or two more free days in Marrakesh -- to see the basics (we're not shoppers) do you think one free day is enough or would two be better?

Leave for 4 day/3 night trip through Ouarzazate
Spend 1 night outside O.
Travel to Merzouga (see Todra Gorge, Dades Gorge)- spend night in Merzouga.
Free day around Merz. to tour around with driver then go via camels to tent in desert
for the night.
Return by camel to Merzouga, shower, then leave for Fez.

Spend that night plus either one or two more in Fez.

Optionally, we may do a day trip from Fez to Meknes & Volubilis. Am questioning that -- will we be so tired of spending time in the car that we'll just want to focus on Fez? Does anyone have an opinion on whether they are not to be missed? Not to sound jaded but after seeing the Roman city-ruins Ephesus & Jerash I don't feel totally compelled to see Volubilis -- but if it's very special, please give me that opinion.

With limited time it seems like Essaouria will be left out - altho' it could be done as a day trip from Marrakesh if it is a must. I'm sensing that it is so "different" from Morocco in general, that it maybe is not a total loss to miss it -- again, please let me know if that's a mistake.

And any favorite riads in Fez or Marrakesh? It's boggling my brain trying to decide -- there are so many great choices. And the reviews on tripadvisor seem to be full of one-timers so I'm not certain how much to trust their ratings. I'm probably going with Riad Mabrouka in Fez but Marrakesh is wide open. Possibly Riad Les Cigognes, Elizabeth, Meriem, Noir d'Ivoire, Al Moussika??? Any of those get a thumbs up here? Or any others?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Leslie - as you know, I liked Essaouira, and would be inclined to make the day trip, but you need at least one full day in Marrakech and it is "different".

I'm not sure what you're doing with the one full day around Merzouga?

I think that Volubilis is missable if you've seen Ephesus.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Looks like you've got it going in the right direction...a good day and a half in Marrakech (two nights) should be good. It's a very cool place. Early eve into the night is a must in Jmaa el Fnna square--it is quite entertaining. We stayed at a nice Riad but it was a bit far of a walk to the center so I would think there might be a better option...there are so many cool ones, I doubt you could go wrong. Location, location, location, right?

We seem to have had much the same path but veered back to Ourzazate and a plane flight to Casablanca missing Fez. Todra Gorge is really impressive (wish we had more time to walk it) as is the pass over the High Atlas...you will be amazed by the Kasbahs and the palm-thick oasises (sp) it's a longer road out to Merzouga from Ourzazate and at times I felt like we were barely making enough time for the sights but overall it was fine...I noticed our driver drove incredibly slow (barely the speed limit) while most everyone else flew past us...but when we needed to get back to Ourzazate from Erfoud, he went at a good clip...

If you're in Casablanca, even though it sounds touristy, we enjoyed stopping by for drinks at Rick's Cafe...t's quite elegant and reminiscent of the movie...they've done a good job not making it like a tourist trap.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys.
I had thought 2.5 days in Marrakesh but now thinking maybe 1.5 is enough (half day tour the day we arrive). I'm not a shopper so I don't plan to spend a lot of time in the souks.

I think the idea was to get to Merzouga in time to explore that environment with the driver - fossil mines, Gnawa musicians, seasonal lakes if there are any, Merzouga village,that kind of thing, plus some down time at the hotel before the camel trek, I guess. But maybe that's too much time in that area?

The original "plan" was 4 days, 3 nights going from Marr. to Fez. But we added one day to that to not be rushed and to spend a full day in Merzouga before the camel trek in the late afternoon.

Hmmm...I know what you said about deserts having great allure but then quickly becoming boring once you actually get there, thursdaysd. (something like that?) Maybe one less night in the desert and one more in Marr. and use the extra day there to go to Essaouira.

gator -- we're not going to be in Casa., I'm pretty sure but if we do get there we'll go to Rick's and get them to play it again, Sam. (think they hear that a million times a day?).
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 02:11 PM

oh yeah : ) but it sounds nice while youre there. mybe if I worked there it'd get a bit old...
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM

i really don't know what else is out in the Merzouga region...Erfoud is a nice town and seems to be the launch point for the night out in the dunes (we stayed in a biviouac (sp)) but on the ride out to the dunes, the driver said if we had more time he'd take us to spend the night? or at least visit a nearby oasis which he said was lovely...made it sound like a nice spot to see...

We never really ran out of time but we were close in our car journeys..a little less rushed would have been better...which frankly could have just meant an earlier start on our days...
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I do get bored in deserts, but I also get bored on boats. If you like being on a boat, especially out of sight of land, you'll like the desert.