Too Late and Too Short....Morocco Itinerary Help

Sep 20th, 2018, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Too Late and Too Short....Morocco Itinerary Help

We have 8 nights in Morocco. Traveling from Atlanta. Family of 5 (17, 15, 11). Fairly adventurous and experienced travelers. The KIDS really, really wanted to go to Morocco, my husband and I were a little less inspired, but here we go. I was stalking tickets and ruling it out given high prices right after Christmas ($1500++++) but managed to score a good deal at $860 in and out of Casablanca (Marrakesh was more than double the cost) and so we booked it without much thought of what we'll do there. So now I'm in the tight spot of realizing that it's very busy season and it's coming fast! We like food, culture, architecture, history and as well as nature/outdoors - not high adventure but hiking and scenery. I promised my husband at least 1 day of lying by a pool and some other deep relaxation (baths?).

We are happy to not see everything and always go to a place with the idea that there will be another time we can come back and see more. I know we can utilize guides and tours thought I'd check out guided for full trip (something we've never done but given timeline) but the one I got a price from was $2000 per person and that meant $10,000 on the ground and that seemed like A LOT.

My reading has me seeing that we'll not want to linger in Casablanca. Though our flight out is at 7am so we'll need at least 1 night there before departure.

I can see also from reading that we'll need to decide if we want the desert experience. That seems to consume at few days. So it could be 1 City, 1 Desert and then back to Casablanca. We also love the sea/water and so that could be an option instead. The kids are asking for nature. I see the Atlas Mountains though might be a bit too far.

Day 1: Arrive Casa at 2pm - Transfer to Fez or Marrakesh? Or Stay night in Casablanca (We've landed from a long trip and carried on a few hours before so I think we can do it)
Day 2 - City explore
Day 3 - City explore
Day 4 - Transfer to....??? Desert excursion? Seaside? Or second city
Day 5 - Continue of Day 4 -
Day 6 - Leave Day 5 and transfer (Need two full for desert or seaside?)
Day 7 - Day in place from day 5 - Or 2 nights in Casablanca so a full day
Day 8 - Return to Casablanca - stay night ahead of 7am flight home

Another option could be to just pick 2 places and do more day trips... Fez and Marrakesh? (opposite directions)....

I appreciate this is still very unformed. But starting to put a skeleton down.
Thank you for any thoughts. What would you do given time of year, lateness of planning for a high season busy time, desire for a bit of relaxation, restrictions of flights in and out of Casablanca. Thank you.
Sep 20th, 2018, 09:57 AM

If you go to Marrakech you can get your seaside at Essaouira. I would not be too enthusiastic about the desert in December, it will be really cold at night.

Fez was my favorite city in Morocco, but not sure whether you want to combine it with Marrakech. Check here for trains from Casa to Marrakech - https://www.oncf.ma/en/
Sep 20th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Fez keeps coming up as preferred to Marrakech. Though the proximity of mountain outings and also Essouria from Marrikech is attractive.

Thanks for thoughts.
Sep 23rd, 2018, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Here is an update... This is December.... so need to explore further information on weather. I have another version of this which skips Marrakech and goes up to Fes instead. Seems most of the outdoor/nature excursions from Fez seem to be desert tours. I'd welcome any ideas.

Day 1: Arrive Casa at 2pm - Transfer to Fez or Marrakesh? Or Stay night in Casablanca (We've landed from a long trip and carried on a few hours before so I think we can do it)
Day 2 - Marrakech
Day 3 - Marrackech
Day 4 - Transfer to Imlil Trek ( worried about weather but trek with lodges looked feasible)
Day 5 - Continue of Day 4 - Trek
Day 6 - End of Trek - Transfer to Essouria (too far??)
Day 7 - Essouria
Day 8 - Essouria to Casa for 1 night ahead of 7am flight
Sep 23rd, 2018, 09:06 AM

Do evaluate the weather before deciding on locations, with alternatives for planned outdoor activities. Morocco has changeable weather in winter, snow in the mountains, cold & drizzley days in Marrakech in my experience. I assume in Fes too.

Also, not everyone prefers Fes though those that do may say so louder. My guess is it's a toss-up.
Sep 23rd, 2018, 09:11 AM

One more thought. Check that accommodations you choose for your winter visit have heat in the rooms should you need it. Some (many?) don't.
Sep 23rd, 2018, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Excellent thoughts.... I think a few things are having me lean to choose Marrakech vs. Fez.... a little warmer, I like the excursion options better,