Add extra night to Tangier? Or Fes or Marrakech?

Sep 12th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

Add extra night to Tangier? Or Fes or Marrakech?

Flights have worked out to give us an extra night. We're currently planning to take the ferry to Tangier and overnight, then train to Fes and stay for 3 nights, then train to Marrakech for 3 nights then fly home from Marrakech.

Where would you put the extra night in? Tangier to give us a full day there? Or Fes or Marrakech to allow an extra day for exploration or perhaps a day trip somewhere? If a day trip, where to? Seems like such a simple decision, but there's so much to see!

TIA - R.
Sep 13th, 2018, 10:55 AM

Fes would allow you to easily day trip to the Roman ruins at Volubilis. (sp?) In Marrakech, you could use it to go hiking in the mountains outside the city. Some people day trip from Marrakech to Essaouira but it's a 2 hour drive each way, so for me, it's not worth all of that car time for just a few hours in that enchanting city itself.
Sep 13th, 2018, 04:32 PM

Presumably, 1 extra day also means 1 extra night. I wouldn't take a day trip to Essaouira, I'd spend a night. Between a bunch of Roman rocks sitting out in the countryside and a vibrant seaside town there is no comparison (No offense intended, I hope you know, MinnBeef).
Sep 13th, 2018, 07:02 PM

None taken, Mme Perdu. I agree...the best solution would be to give the overnight you Essaouira. Maybe 2 nights Marrakech, one night Essaouira and then the last night Marrakech?
Sep 14th, 2018, 02:55 AM

I agree with Mme Perdu and MinnBeef's suggestions; if there is an extra night, a visit to Essaouira is delightful. It was a favorite stop of ours, and with one night, you'll be able to have a lovely visit. Otherwise, as MinnBeef suggests, an extra night in Marrakech might mean a day trip into the mountains; the extra day in Fes would give you the chance to visit Volubilis.
Oct 7th, 2018, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, folks. It turned out we had to use the extra day in Spain, to remain in Granada and be able to visit the Alhambra as tickets were only available for one night during our trip. This is what happens when you book things too late, but at least we made it to the Alhambra! Both for a day trip, and we also got night tickets for the Nasrid Palaces. We are celebrating our wedding anniversary and my wife wanted romantic - I figure the Nasrid Places at night would qualify!

- R.