Search

People and Animals

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People and Animals

What I love most about Africa is the people. I love shopping at local markets among the ethnic tribes. My husband would love to see the chimps and gorillas in Uguanda. Will we find colorful tribes there as well?

Many Thanks
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

I guess the reason for no replies is because the main reason to go is for the animal life. Which does not sound all that bad.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Hello Impacked,
I haven’t been to Uganda, but I know there are people there and that most belong to some tribe, and I suppose some of them can do colourful.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:48 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Uganda
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 01:53 PM

http://www.visituganda.com/people.html
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM

For colorful and interesting tribes in East or Southern Africa, the best place I found is Omo Valley, Ethiopia.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 04:13 PM

I didn't see your question until now and that's why I did not anwswer.

You can have an opportunity to see members of the Pygmy tribe in Uganda and Rwanda. Eveybody has heard or read about the Pygmies, so visiting them is very worthwhile. They benefit as well because the ones you visit have been displaced from the forests due to war and habitat protection for the gorillas.

I've only visited the Pygmies in Uganda, but I've read it is also possible in Rwanda. I am going to try to visit them in Aug 2009 in Rwanda.

My experience in Uganda has been you can hike to their homes from your accommodation in Buhoma or they will come to your camp and perform songs and dances with traditional instruments and props. They will even meet you at the end of your gorilla trek or if you are taking a walk to waterfall or elsehwere. In addition to performing, you can also purchase items they have made.

A sad incident I recall is when the performing group was late because the lead musician had buried his child that morning. We didn't learn that until their performance was over and they had left.

All of the Pygmy encounters were arranged with camp staff once I arrived, but you might even want to mention it to your agent before leaving home.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Nyamera, thanks for the helpful links. Great photos.

luangwablondes, Thanks for your posting. I agree - we did visit Ethiopia several years ago and spent a month in the North and South, it was probably a trip that can never be duplicated!!

atravelynn,
I did not realize there were Pymgies still around. I thought they were located in Very rurual areas. Sounds exciting!

Thanks, all!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
aby

i agree with luangwablondes