Search

Payment to Guides

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Payment to Guides

Hi there, If anyone knows.....I would love some feedback asap as I leave October 5. I am wondering what the protocol is for paying my guide. I have hired a guide just for myself and am not certain when I need to pay him. I must admit I am reluctant to do pay him before the trip starts--well, cuz, you never know if he will actually show up to guide me. I know I might be a bit paranoid about this, but would like to make sure I am taken care of ...

Thanks so much.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 03:57 AM

Paranoia can be a good thing. Pay at the end of your stay or, if that is unacceptable, offer to pay a prorated amount at the end of each day.
Jon
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Johnson101--thanks, I was thinking of both the things you mentioned;hopefully either one will work out for me. Thanks again
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM

Wonder - where did you find this guide that you are so uncertain? Why then are you using this person? Did you get him thru a referral? Did he provide references? Did you contact these references? Was payment not discussed prior this that you're waiting till last minute?

Is your guide just driving you? Or has he arranged hotels, tours, etc.?

Even if just driving, he has to buy petrol (maybe vehicle repair, flat tire, whatever). And if also hotels and tours, these have to be paid for on your behalf.

Dolling out a few dollars each day is rather chintzy.

Why not half up front and then the remainder at the conclusion.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM

Yes, details too scant here. Strikes me as odd there was no payment discussion when you booked. Who is it and where did you find him/her? I would definitely not pay in advance unitl you have lots nmore info and have determined the company is legit.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM

Sounds weird to me, too but hopefully there is more info that we don't have. You can do it like a contractor - 25% up front (to a legimate co), 25% when the work starts (plus expenses already paid by the contractor), and the rest at the end. If I were the guide, I would not trust my client to pay everything at the end. Don't forget a tip if your service is good.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

This is a tour operator (well, they have a web site)and we have emailed dozens upon dozens of times, but I never thought to ask how and when he wants payment. I sent him a 100 Euro deposit; he will be driving, providing the vehicle, guiding me, arranging hotels and all the normal stuff. The price he quoted includes gas, et cet. I did ask and receive email addresses of former clients who all raved about him--integrity, honesty, knowledge, et cet ...

He seems very nice and is in tune with the type of trip I want...He is picking me up at the airport and dropping me off at the Riad and will then fetch me the next day to begin our trip--and he is not charging me extra for picking me up, et al....So, I feel confident --it's just I wasn't sure how to pay. I am thinking half up front (the day he fetches me to begin our trip--not the day he picks me up at the airport) and then the remainder the last day. And of course, I will tip him accordingly.

Thanks to all of you; I so appreciate it...
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 02:50 AM

Since he is a regular tour operator, why not just ask him how he prefers payment? Seems like you are making it much too complicated.
Jon
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 05:16 AM

>>He is picking me up at the airport and dropping me off at the Riad and will then fetch me the next day to begin our trip--and he is not charging me extra for picking me up, et al....<<

Believe me the meet/greets and transfers are included in the price this "tour operator" has quoted you. They do not work for free.

As this is a regular tour operator, I can't believe they haven't discussed payment, when, which currency, etc. And, unless they work differently in Morocco from other countries, I can't believe the TO has guaranteed your hotels without some payment on your behalf. If not at least a deposit ($100 doesn't cover much) and usually by time of arrival the hotels want payment in full. In many countries if this hasn't been done, clients often find themselves in lodging different then what was expected.

Strange. But I'm sure you'll work it out and enjoy Morocco.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

The trip is such that with the exception of the first night, there is no set itinerary--this is because I told my guide that I want to be as flexible as possible. Since we will be in the desert and trekking through Berber villages--there is no problem with this arrangement. He does not need money in advance to pay to sleep in the villages. So..., he never asked for a dime up front other than the 100 Euro to seal the deal....

ALso, he had given me his price well before telling me he would pick me up at the airport and bringing me to my hotel. So, he is actually doing it for free.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:24 AM

If he an official guide you don't have to worry about anything.If he is not official thatis an other story.
Normally official guides won't persist in getting paid before they finish their service but a little deposit is a fair way to deal because you never know what he needs to have before starting.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:20 AM

bushwoman -- are you back yet? Please let us know how you made out on your trip. If not a full trip report, just a quick paragraph would be great!