Sahara/tent tours from Marrakech?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for good/reputable tour from Marrakech to Sahara. We would only be able take a trek for 2-3 days. Any info is appreciated!

Also, does Hamid do one- or two-day tours?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:48 AM

I took a 2night, 3 day tour into the Merzouga Desert with cameltrekking.com, They had good 4x4 vehicles and were very professional. The deposit has to be paid through Western Union which is a little annoying but worth it in the end. Omar, who runs the company, is very helpful.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM

My husband and I recently went on a trek in the Sahara with Mark Willenbrock from Mad about Morocco. www.madaboutmorocco.com

We cannot recommend Mark enough. His professionalism comes through from the initial email. Mark spent time working with us to get our itinerary exactly how we wanted it (and was quite patient with out million questions) and to reflect our general demeanors. And he made sure we saw all of the major sites as well as many that were off the beaten path. Added benefits are that when in the Sahara, he has AC in his car (key when you get caught in a sandstorm and cannot open the windows). In addition, he always brings a Berber guide as a backup once you enter the desert to help with any unforseen problems (he knows the desert very well and it was great to see that he was taken all precautions b/c things change when a sandstorm rolls in - mother nature and all). Finally, he caters to private tours so you really are seeing things you want to see. We saw many tours where people were packed into 4x4x and did not have A/C and had sand blowing at them (similar to a snow blizzard) for hours. Finally, it was wonderful to have somebody who spoke English (Mark is British) as our French was limited. Our trek with MArk was the highlight of our 2 week trip to Morocco and we cannot recommend it enough.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM

As far as I know, one has to be of Moroccan nationality to be a guide. How did this Mark manage to be a guide?
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:02 PM

We had a good time with the www.saharatrek.com

We did the 3 day camel trek and are considering travelling again with them this year.

They are based in florida.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 02:41 PM

Yeah Khattabi unluckily fodors.com website forum is set to help travellers seeking infos....Plenty are touting for business, I hereby advice travellers be selective and not fall on the trap of those parasites.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM

My husband and I used Rachid Ouargaga for our recent trip to Morocco. He is English speaking. See my other posts. We were very satisfied with his services. We arrived in Casablanca on a Tuesday night and had to meet the rest of our tour group in Fes on Saturday. We had a whirlwind tour of Morocco.
It is a very difficult task to hire a guide from a distance. My friends will tell you that I am very suspicious by nature. I checked the guides references and even googled his references. I compared photos sent by the references with the photos that appeared from my google search. After being thoroughly satisfied, I opted to hire Rachid.
We did send a small deposit via Western Union to reserve the dates and I am sure that most tour companies would request a deposit.
Rachid arranged all of our accommodations and our trek by camel into the desert. We had a lovely tangine meal after we arrived at the campsite and a bit of entertainment. We awoke to see the sunrise from the dunes and after breakfast we traveled back to the hotel. After a much needed shower we were back on the road again for the rest of our travels.
Rachid's email is <[email protected]>
Old May 25th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Hi yalegirl,

I am heading to Morocco in a couple of weeks and have found the guide Rachid Ouargaga as well, though under this email address: [email protected]

Do you happen to know if this is the same Rachid, or have some other information about him that you could send?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Hi everyone i ve been to Morroco twice already and my favorite tours is www.cozytours.c.la also they do programs as much you want 2 days or 2 weeks all the same try it me personally I fully trust in their services. Bye and good trip!!
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM

my friend regularly does tours as and when you want totally based on your needs please write him it s the most economical i know it from my personal experience
[email protected] Hamidmore he will tell you Good trip!!! Silvia
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:49 AM

Yes Silva , Hamid is a tour operator even for 2/3 days , he has arranged 3 days tour from Agadir , I didn't remember if his Email address : [email protected] /or/ [email protected] !!! , but try to keep in touch with the both maybe one of them would accepted!
Get the truth then Go