Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Has anyone traveled with Adventures Abroad or Gap Adventures to Morocco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Has anyone traveled to Morocco with Adventures Abroad or Gap Adventures?
I would appreciate it if you share your expereince.

I found both companies by research on internet and liked their itenaries. Do not
know anyone who has traveled with them.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

You make a good point. I am somewhat concerned about that too.
Adventure Abroad told me that the lady who is the guide lives
in the area and is an anthropologist. Did not get much out of
GAP who their guide is.

Can you please share what these two companies told you
regarding their guides?

I was inclined to go with GAP since it gives us more of a
chance to do things on our own. I was going to take my
travel books on Morocco and do some of the work there myself.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with Intrepid and the guide was Moroccan.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 07:12 AM

I traveled with Adventures Abroad to Morocco in April, 2010. The tour leader, a Canadian woman residing in Tunisia, was terrible. She frequently read aloud to us from her guidebook when we were visiting a new site. She didn't add anything special or unique to the trip. Since the tour didn't have any local guides, we had to depend on her for all our information.
The itinerary looked good on paper, but in reality we spent most of the first week on the bus doing one nighters. It was exhausting, and we didn't have any opportunities to communicate with the local people.
Some of the hotels were OK, one was excellent, and the rest were mediocre to poor. I definitely don't recommend this trip or this tour operator.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:28 PM

My son travels w/ Gap a lot. He says the leaders are just that tour leaders NOT tour guides. They know where the local bank is, the best restaurants but for actual tour stuff you are rather on your own.

This is according to him........
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 09:39 PM

I've travelled with Adventures Abroad, but not to Morocco (went elsewhere in Africa), the company did a poor job and I do not recommend them. The tour guide was uninterested in working and read out of a book when pretending to guide the group, the tour group were a bunch of idiots (no fault of the company) on a two week tour only two hotels were alright, one was good and the other were awful. The only good thing I'd have to say is that we were not sold any extra excursions and dinners were included everyday of the tour.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Our family just did a two week self drive trip through Morocco and it was wonderful. Seriously, it is a very easy country to get around and do things on your own.Pick the cities you want and then use a tour guide there from your hotel if you feel you need one-cheaper and easier.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM

We travelled to Spain and Morocco with Adventures Abroad in April/May 2010 and had a terrific trip. The tour leader was a young fellow who in his background sessions with us showed a real feel for, and understanding of, the influences the two countries have had on each other. As well, at each major stop, he hired excellent local guides who gave us a more detailed and personal view of their region. The tour leader was also great fun and took us to delightful, out-of-the-way places to eat, sampling the local specialities. The hotels were fine with gusts to very good. Adventures Abroad tours do cover a lot of ground in a relatively short time. It's more of an overview of places where you might want to come back on your own and spend more time.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 06:41 PM

I travelled with GAP adventures about a month ago. It was a great trip. Our guide was Moroccan and he stayed with us the whole 2 weeks. We also had local guides who joined us in every city or place of interest. I would certainly recommend this outfit, it would be difficult/impossible to cover the amount of ground in the time independently. We were free to join the guide for evening meals or not, nothing was compulsory. He was very enthusiastic and well-informed, keen to answer our questions and not pushy.
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Thomas of Journey Beyond, located in Morocco, put together an excellent tour for us with driver/car, hotels, guides. I highly recommend them. He gave us everything we asked for and more (room upgrades, dinners)
Our driver was Naim Souhel. If you go with Journey Beyond, please ask for him. Great guy, good driver, informative guide. [email protected]