Packing List for Winter Safari

May 3rd, 2007, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Packing List for Winter Safari

I love the packing list that Lynda has done, also Juliete, but we are going in the winter. We will be there end of May through June 18.

Can anyone who has traveled during this season amend the packing list to cover the cold weather needs. Obviously I know about jacket, hats, gloves etc. but what about pants vs any shorts, long vs short sleeve shirts etc.

Than
May 3rd, 2007, 11:52 PM

Long pants....layered clothing. Consider it, aka a ski holiday.
May 4th, 2007, 03:10 AM

May-Jun is still warm. Winter doesn't arrive till late-July, probably more in Aug-Sep. Unless you're at high altitude, i.e., Ngorongoro Crater, or other areas above 5,000' where it will be cold at night and morning, hakuna matata.

This is when I travel, and only have a warm jacket (my jean jacket) and a sweater. Many evenings I only wear a shawl covering often lightweight t-shirt or leotard.

However, regardless time of year, if doing game drives in completely open vehicles, it's a good idea to pack a cap, gloves and scarfs (wear socks) as the wind can be brutal - in your face, under your butt - when moving quickly (read: hauling a$$) across the plains. But once you stop, the air evens out and is quite comfy.
May 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

I should clarify that we will be in Cape Town, Botswana and Victoria Falls between May 30 and June 18. Is this area colder than East Africa at that time of year?
May 4th, 2007, 08:03 PM

http://www.uyaphi.com/afriweather.htm

You can check this weather chart. It is colder because it is farther from the equator.
May 4th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Was in northern part of S. Africa on Botswana border end of last May and I would say layering is the key. It's was around freezing - 32 deg when we started our drives at 7 am, but was mid 60's by noon, then temp starting dropping fast when sun started to go down. Remember the wind chill + sitting still when on game drives. We would go from fully layered to short sleeves mid-day. Take a good insulated coat, gloves and stocking cap. Convertable travel pants are great where you can go from long pants & zip off to shorts if needed. Pack thermal underwear
May 5th, 2007, 03:25 AM

spiegel -

... my oversight, if southern rather than east, but as above, being farther south, it will be colder. So "layers, layers" - caps, gloves, socks, scarf, thermal-tshirts - then peel off as the day goes on.
May 5th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Headed for MalaMala last couple weeks of May. Still not sure what everyone means about taking a heavy or insulated jacket. Does this mean down jacket or a jacket like you would wear snowskiing?

I was going to take a windbreaker over fleece jacket with hat, gloves. Do you think that would be sufficient?

Should I be wearing something more like a heavy leather jacket?

Thanks,
- Granny Joan
May 5th, 2007, 01:14 PM

When visiting Botswana and Zambia last June, early July we only wore shorts in Zambia. I worn long underwear under my zip-off pants for the morning game drives in Botswana and a heavy jacket. I never felt too warm and people that came with only a fleece and light jacket were complaining of the cold. It was very cold in the vehicle with the wind blowing on you in the early morings. We always took our jackets with us on the evening game drives and used them once the sun went down. It wasn't nearly as cold as in the morning. Take a few t-shirts for afternoon wear around the camp until the sun goes down and then add a fleece or jacket.
May 5th, 2007, 08:00 PM

North Face has great down jackets and vests in dark brown. They are extremely light and squish down to nothing. I'm taking the vest version and a fleece, but I live in the midwest so I don't get cold easily. The jacket is $139 at Backcountry:

http://tinyurl.com/259uth
May 6th, 2007, 04:33 PM

Granny,

Can only assume that weather over in Sabi Sands/Krueger area in late May is same as was for us in Madikwe same time last year.

When I say insulated, heavy jacket, that is what I mean. You will freeze early am & on evening drives with a windbreaker w/fleece underneath. I had a Orvis type jacket that had a zip-in insulated inner + wore thermals. Stocking cap & gloves. Was reasonably warm, but still was numb until later morning or after we got back to lodge in the evening. Do not discount the wind. That and sitting still are what will chill you to the bone, even if air temperature is not all that bad. This is a place where wearing layers are the best. Mid-day you may be in short sleeve shirts & shorts, other times looking like you are ready to go the artic. Better to be warm, rather than cold & miserable