One versus two safari lodges

Jun 29th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

One versus two safari lodges

My husband and I are currently planning 14 days in South Africa and Victoria Falls. It is our first (and probably only) trip. We have already decided on two nights in Johannesburg, two in Zambia, four nights in Capetown, and possibly one or two in the wine country. That leaves four or five nights for safari. Should we spend four nights at one camp, or divide five nights between two camps? If we pick two camps, should we do one splurge (like Singita) and one that costs less, or should we pick the two camps for diverse ecosystems and animal populations? My primary interest is seeing animals, but my husband is much less interested.

Thanks in advance for your help. JG
Jun 29th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to add that we will be in South Africa for the last two weeks of March, 2010. JG
Jun 29th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Are you coming and going via JNB Johannesburg? What/why are you doing in Zambia? Do you have a budget for safari?

regards - tom
Jun 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Hi JG

If it was me I would be spending it in one lodge - and if it is your one and only trip I would be splurging, a little at any rate!

Kind regards

Kaye
Jun 30th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

We are coming and going via JNB. By Zambia, I was referring to Victoria Falls.
Jun 30th, 2009, 03:34 AM

The very good news is that March is the green season, when you can find some extremely attractive rates. A month or so ago, Hari posted a trip report of a great green season trip he took to Little Kwara, Nxai Pan, and one other camp (name escapes me).

My own preference would be to cut down on the Cape Town/Joburg portion and spend 6 night on safari. Then, you can comfortable spend 3 nights in each of 2 camps. As long as you'll be in Livingstone (V Falls), it's a short drive to kasane (Botswana), where you can get a transfer to one of the Botswana camps. While the camps in South Africa cam be wonderful, the ones in Botswana can be extraordinary, because of their remoteness.
Jun 30th, 2009, 04:19 AM

I would leave the spread of nights as is, and spend the four nights in one safari camp. Moving around takes more effort and time than one would think, and I like to settle in and make myself at home. Most of the time now my minimum stays are at least 3 nights.

Search this Thread