Search

One day in Casablanca

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Casablanca

We will have one day (cruise ship) in Casablanca at the end of October. Can anyone tell me how best to spend our time (and money)? We want to see the big mosque of course, and some souks. We don't know how much walking is involved from where the ship docks (i.e. how far to the big mosque? to shopping?). Also, what other sights should we be sure to take in? Thank you in advance for any suggestions/info!
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 04:16 AM

Non-muslims can only visit the Hassan II mosque on a guided tour. There are scheduled tours at 9 AM, 10 AM, 11 AM and 2 PM. A tour costs 100 dirham (US$10) per person.

Casablanca does not have the extensive souks that places like Marrakech, Fes and Tangier have. The medina is quite small and rather dodgy.

The ferry dock is about a 15 minute walk away from the mosque (along the oceanfront). The medina starts right across the street from the exit of the dock. There will be taxis waiting for passengers from your ship. Do not pay more than 10 Moroccan dirham (US$1) to either the mosque or the Place des Nations Unies in the city center.

Casablanca isn't too big on alternative attractions. The Habous neighborhood is a relaxed place to walk around, and a good example of "neo-mauresque" architecture. The French built this area, also known as "Nouvelle Medina". It shows a colonial interpretation of what a "typical Moorish" town looked like. Very Disneyesque. Maybe 20 dirham by taxi from the city center.

For a taste of the city, visit its official tourism website at www.visitcasablanca.ma

Have a nice day in Casablanca.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you "dysfunctional" for your most helpful information! "Dodgy" sounds as though there's a degree of danger in the medina......would that be correct? I appreciate knowing the hours for the great mosque too!
Hawk61
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:18 AM

The tour hours for the great mosque are in my previous reply. It's called the Hassan II mosque. You can not visit any other mosque in Casablanca, unless you are a Muslim.

The Casablanca medina is not dangerous, just very annoying. Casablanca is probably the city in Morocco with the most hassles from beggars, streets vendors and shoeshine boys. Vendors at the medina can be quite in your face.

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:19 AM

Sorry, I misread the "I appreciate knowing the hours for the great mosque too!" I read "I'd appreciate".