Old Mondoro Camp - Lower Zambezi - January 2006 Newsletter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Mondoro Camp - Lower Zambezi - January 2006 Newsletter

Some amazing footage here:

http://www.chiawa.com/pages/old_mondoro_newsletter1.htm

This camp combines excellently with Chiawa Camp and it is joint-owned by Chiawa and Sausage Tree.

(Warning...graphic photo of a lion kill of a juvenile elephant)
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Thanks for posting. I truly hope I don't see any baby ellies - or any babies - being ripped to shreds. I know this is a big attraction for many and I mean no offense. And I know this is nature. But it doesn't mean I have to like watching it. Is it difficult for anyone else? (I'm talking about the taking of the babies, here)

peace,
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:46 PM

i certainly dont want to see any babies taken. closest call ive seen was a leopard trying to get a young warthog but the momma hog came the rescue and the little one scampered off. those guys can really run.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:12 PM

Hi cooncat2,

Yes, it is difficult to watch any kills, and like you, I would prefer not to actually see the kill, babies and adults, but it is a real blessing if it is done quickly, not always the case. I have seen hyena eating an old buffalo bull, that was down but still alive. I cannot imagine anyone enjoying that viewing, regardless that it is a part of nature. I like to see all the cats eating and feeding their babies, so I am usually on the side of the cats, but I also like it to be done really quickly, so the one killed goes very quickly and as painlessly as possible.
I would not be looking at that footage, as I have been warned in advance!

Kind regards,
Kaye
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Chiawa to Old Mondoro question...

In 2003 when I canoed from Sausage Tree to Old Mondoro via the Chifungulu Channel, I was told that the Chiawa to Old Mondoro transfer had to be by motor boat on the main Zambezi River. That's because it took too long to get from Chiawa to Old Mondoro by canoe. Is that still correct?

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Thanks guys. I'd also be interested in the answeer to Lynn's question regarding the canoe trip to Old Mondoro. Lynn - I may just ask the camp directly. If I do. I'll post the response. BTW: You sure you don't want to join me?

Sharon
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:01 AM

cooncat2,

I'd love to join you. But I've already got my 06 trip set. If I win that big lottery that is hundreds of millions right now, we'll be in touch! Please do share the info you get about the transfer.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:03 AM

That big lottery!!! Aren't you in Nebraska? Myabe you're the winner! I know there is a Cooncat in Nebraska!

Or is Cooncat2 not Cooncat?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:29 AM

LYNN! LOL.... I did not buy a lottery ticket, so no, sadly, I am not the winner. Dammit anyway. My co-worker and I were just talking about this at the gym this morning. Lincoln is a small place - we are bound to know someone who knows someone who knows.... well, you get the drift.

Cooncat and Cooncat2 are one in the same!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Darn!! At least you are $2 richer than I am after the lottery with my two losing tickets.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Well, it's getting more and more tempting all the time to start participating!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:59 PM

For anyone interested - here is what I've heard from Chiawa. (Reprinted with permission.)

Firstly it is possible to canoe from Chiawa to Old Mondoro in one day, but it does take literally the whole day. You would set off at sunrise (after a quick breakfast around the camp fire) and paddling and drifting for about 5 hours, stopping briefly once or twice for a drink, stretch your legs, wait for hippos or eles to move on and then have a picnic lunch on the banks of the river in some shady spot. You would then continue paddling another 4 hours before arriving at Old Mondoro around 5pm. This makes for an absolutely brilliant canoe trip of about 35kms BUT it is a very long day on the water and you would have tired arms, some sunburn and probably a numb rear end speaking from experience. I would only recommend this canoe trip for the very keenest of canoeists.

An alternative is to canoe about half way (about 4-5 hours) to Old Mondoro and then after a picnic lunch, the Old Mondoro motor boat would come and collect you and you would boat about 30 minutes to camp, arriving with more energy around 2pm, in time to settle in, have afternoon tea and then go out on a game drive.

Of course you don’t have to canoe to Old Mondoro at all (there is plenty of canoeing anyway at Chiawa) – the Old Mondoro speedboat could take you the entire 35kms (just over an hour) in more comfort and safety and you would still be assured of an exhilarating trip to Old Mondoro and plenty of wildlife en-route.

Depending on your likes, fitness and enthusiasm for canoeing, any of the three options is an excellent choice.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Thank you for the research!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 07:46 AM

No problem, Lynn! So... which option would you choose? ;-)
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:36 AM

I would choose the same route as last time and that is canoe from Sausage Tree to Old Mondoro along the Chifungulu Channel. It took the whole day with one leisurely lunch stop.

In fact I do plan to make this very trip again in the next few years, putting my money where my mouth (or paddle) is.

I've also seen itineraries where you can stay at Chiawa for a couple days. Canoe to Sausage Tree and stay there a couple days. Then canoe along the Chifungulu Channel to Old Mondoro and end there. THAT would be ideal if time allowed.