Search

Zib upgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zib upgrade

A very interesting coincidence:

Some of us this week have been discussing what constitutes an upgrade in accommodation, whether everybody would regard it as a more expensive, luxurious camp. The answer of course is No, and I used Zibalianja in the Selinda concession as an example of one which I think is superior to flashier, more upmarket camps.

Now the concession holders, the Jouberts, have announced they are going to upgrade Zib. The camp will be closed from late November to April for the renovations. It's a bit of a worry that they're talking of turning it into a camp 'where you'd like to spend a month'...as if there are not already people who feel that way about the existing camp! Those of us who love Zib for its character, charm, intimacy, warmth (and all the other overlapping descriptions one could apply to it) are hoping like crazy that this doesn't mean it's going to lose these. One thing that offers a glimmer of hope is that it seems it will remain a three-tent (+ 1) camp. Maybe the changes will do no more than halt the gradual creep to tiredness that all camps experience. Let's hope so.

John

Old May 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM

John, that sounds like singing in the dark to me. Zib is meant as the more exclusive choice in Selinda. After what they've done to Selinda Camp I don't think they will stop doing this to Zib. We have to say farewell to the old times. At least we have our memories of how nice it was.
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM

PS: Go to Zambia as soon as possible. You still can experience the old way there. Question is for how long, I see very similar developments to Botswana.
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Disappointing news.
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:47 PM

I hope it's not Hari's task to kiss the Zib we know and love goodbye.
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

I'm sure you're right, nyama, but I wanted to avoid giving the impression that I'm totally pessimistic. As you know already, I am booked into Zambia for next year.

There are very strong feelings out there about Zib; unfortunately, those who hold them are in the minority.

Two years ago, an Aussie woman who frequently goes to Zib told me it would drop off her radar if it changed style. And on the latest news, another Aussie tells me he could spend a month at Zib in a two-man tent (the kind you can't swing a cat in). So could I. That's a mystery to many people and the reason why George misunderstood my facetious remark about getting paid to go elsewhere.

John
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Lynn,

I think K & J are booked into Zib next year, so they'll experience the new rather than the old.

John
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM

John, we only can hope that Peter Borchert's words about the "eco-footprint" (in Africa Geographic's April edition) are a sign for a change in thinking about all these latest developments in luxury safari tourism.

Last year I've seen the huge destruction to habitat caused by the construction vehicles of one of these new camps. Slogans such as "low-impact tourism" and "environment-friendly" became a quite new meaning for me and the old local operators. The fly-in tourist never sees such disaster, and of course, during game drives the guides will avoid such areas. I wonder if the clients of such camps ever spend a thought on how this heavy construction material for tent decks, walkways and huge lounge/sun-decks appear at the site - it's definitely not the way how it happens in "I Dream of Jeannie".
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:36 PM

John, have you ever been to Little Vumbura? This year WS have plastered all these wonderful natural walkways with new wooden walkways. Hundreds of meters full of wood, only 20-30 centimetres above the ground. Apparently only for the reason that the sensible feet of the "modern" Western traveller don't get dusty. Sorry, but that makes no sense to me anymore.
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:37 PM

this kind of thing is just what has been worrying me. Zib was on my short list, but may no longer be. As a person very concerned about the continuing damage to our planet, now I am wondering if we should even go to Botswana, since I hate to perpetuate this destruction. We will go, since I want my kids to see the world before it gets worse, and we are trying to support the local economy. But, I hate to be a party to this, and I would have liked to see it before...
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Lynn, i am eager to check out Zib and appreciate it for all that the Zib regulars talk about. I am thankful that i get this opportunity very soon.

Back to the article, remember here on fodors we spoke about hypothetically spending a month in Botswana and how would we like to spend our time? Also we got into the whole discussion of computers and cell phones in the tents etc etc.,

Hmmmm.........

Cheers,
Hari
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Hari, I made my last safari to Botswana in 2003, spending FIVE weeks in the bush, and I didn't miss computers, cell phones, iPods and all that stuff for a single second. I guess many people don't know how to make a BREAK - in a true sense of this word. I'm happy if once a year I can escape from all this.
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:42 PM

i'm with you on this, Nyama....we discussed at length on the subject. Let me try and find the link to it just in case you missed it.

Hari
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM

i topped it up for you. Thread is called "MM or Londolozi". It is a loooong thread. Save it for a rainy day/when you are bored!!!
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Thanks, Hari. Btw, ever seen SSGR from above on Google Earth. Looks very managed... John had once a nice word for it.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

No, Nyama, I have never seen Little Vumbura. But I have an idea of the kind of transformation you are describing because I stayed at Mombo Trails in 1996. Back then, it was what some people would now call 'very rustic' but which I prefer to call 'close to nature.' The new Mombo is quite different.

Momliz, keep Zib on your short list because it looks like it will remain very small (3 tents plus one)...it will just be more posh, and less desirable probably only to those who know the old version. Wildlife is magnificent there.

John
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Hari, thanks again. Interesting reading. I think that what sandi wrote expresses best my opinion.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:45 PM

John, you're a lucky person. Your Zambian destination in SL is about 10 kms outside of cell phone coverage.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM

No worries....

i am very excieted about visiting both Zib and Selinda main camp. The only reason i will be at main camp for a couple of days prior to Zib, is because of non-availability at Zib for those dates.

Hari

Old May 17th, 2007, 09:06 PM
skimmer

We'll have to wait and see what changes will be made. Glad I'll still be able to visit it how it is at the moment.

Things are changing and not always for the good ... but the thing is that most changes occur through the way the market is shifting (if we like it or not).

But I am pretty sure there are still places and ways left to experience Africa in a more rustic way.

Best regards,

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -