Off Road Question

Jul 6th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Off Road Question

Is the Serengeti like the Mara, where you can drive anywhere? Or do you have to stay on the roads?

Any parks in Tanzania where off road is allowed?

Thanks.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:29 AM

This doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to say that technically I didn't think you could just drive anywhere in the Mara either. My understanding is that outside of the reserve boundaries off road driving is allowed. Within the reserve on the Mara Conservancy side (Mara triangle), off road driving is allowed to a limited extent for specific viewing and once you're done viewing, you must return to the road. On the Narok council side, off road driving isn't allowed but enforcement is lax. Someone please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:53 AM
liveforholiday

Don't know about the Mara, but my understanding is that you have to stay on the roads in TZ parks. You can go on main roads and side roads that will take you closer to the animals, but you cannot just drive anywhere on grass. I believe it's the same for all the parks in TZ.

Our guide mentioned that cars found driving offroad will be fined heavily and that special permits are require for offroading (e.g. our guide took out a National Geographic film crew and they had a special permit to go off road).

Hope this help.

Jul 6th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Patty,

I'm not sure either.

All I can remember from 1990 was that you had to stay on the roads in Amboselli, etc. But, when we arrived in the Masai Mara, we went off road the entire 3 days we were there. In fact, we would follow what could best be described as "paths", rather than roads....
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I think you can drive on established tracks too. Maybe that's what you're referring to as paths.

I found a discussion here http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=007b5S

I know this is off topic, sorry!
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Most of the areas of most of the parks in Tanzania require you to stay on tracks. However, there are some areas of the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NOT the Crater, but south of Ndutu) that allow off road driving. We recently visited the Gol Kopjes on the short grass plains in Serengeti N.P., and you are able to drive off road with certain limitations there.

I hope this helps!

Andy
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:14 AM

I seem to remember there is one part of Serengeti proper where you can go off-road; at least that's what it indicated on the usage map at the Naabi entrance around two years ago. However, I seem to remember that it was fairly far south west.

This time I didn't get a chance to study the map.

Another rumor I heard this past safari is that there are talks about opening up walking in some parts of Serengeti! Have no idea of that's true or whether or not it'll work out bureaucratically, but that would be fantastic.
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Since we are doing rumors.....Sunny Safaris said that the craters were 1/2 day, starting July 1, 2006. Sunny then said, that they are still doing full day and the 1/2 day is now put off until 1/1/2007, but still may not be enforced.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:51 PM
aby

Hi

Andy's right, u can drive off road on Gol kopjes, Barafu Kopjes side.
Also in Ndutu area
there r designated areas & guides should know...
Walking Safaris can be done out of Naabi gate southwards - actually Ngorongoro conservation area (NCAA)- do it when the gnus r there Feb-March.
This is really walking the Serengeti plains but within the NCAA

aby
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:54 PM
santharamhari

To experience awesome off-roading at it's best.......visit the private concessions in Southern Africa. Awesome!!!

Hari

Jul 6th, 2006, 11:24 PM

santharamhari
No kidding. The MalaMala ranger drove that Range Rover all over the place. Straight up and straight down. Not a good ride for anyone with back problems.
regards - tom
Jul 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM

Just returned from TZ a week ago. Andy is very experienced, and surely right that there are some areas to get offroad. BUT my understanding from our guide was that in Serengeti NP you could NOT drive off the road. Yes, in some other parks you can.

In Serengeti, our guide said if he hit an animal, even a bird, there was a $100US fine assessed on him, plus 6 month loss of his park license.

That said, in most places where there was a lot of game there were a lot of alternative road. I didn't feel that the lack of ability to drive offroad was any big deal (except for whem we saw six lions IN a tree, and wanted to get closer for a photo)
Jul 21st, 2006, 08:26 PM
santharamhari

Nuhlberg,

Yes, you can't drive off-road in Serengeti NP. Only areas where you are allowed are in the ndutu area (Andy mentioned above). It is best visited Feb/Mar, when the herds are in the area during the calving season.

You can also drive off-road in the Kliens concession in Northern Tanzania. It is however, outside the NP limits.

Hari

Jul 21st, 2006, 09:54 PM

Just returned from TZ two weeks ago. We were off roading in Tarangire near Olivers Camp only and in the Serengeti up north by Sayari.
Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:03 AM

"my understanding from our guide was that in Serengeti NP you could NOT drive off the road."

As of a few months ago you could legally drive off-track at several of the kopjes in Serengeti. This is stated clearly at Naabi Hill entrance and we did it with no problems.

Our guide said until recently you could drive off-track in Serengeti if you were 16 KM from Sereonera but this caused a lot of enforcement problems and was tightened up in the past couple of years.

"Yes, in some other parks you can."

Which ones? On the Northern Circuit I'm not aware of any other parks that allow this. The NCA does, in some areas outside the Crater like Ndutu, but are there any Parks that allow it?

"I didn't feel that the lack of ability to drive offroad was any big deal"

It's a big deal for serious photography since you can set up the light angle much better (and get closer) if you can drive off-track. That's one reason Ndutu area is so popular ... that's why were's spending a week at Ndutu next January ...

"We were off roading in Tarangire near Olivers Camp"

I think technically you were in the Tarangire eco-system but NOT in Tarangire National Park since Oliver's is some distance from TNP (someone correct me if I'm wrong ... are there areas inside Tarangire NP that allow off-track driving)?

Bill
Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:24 AM

I believe that Oliver's Camp has been located inside Tarangire NP (on the eastern part, 70 km south of the park gate according to Eben's site) since late 2001, although many maps and websites still indicate that it is east of the park. Although it is now operated by Asilia, for a history see
http://www.paul-oliver.com/safaris/t...l_history.html
Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:41 AM

Hi Bill

In Feb this year I was told about the 16k rule that applies to Seronera as well as Lobo. There is a big board at Nabi that tell you were you can do what. We drove off road in quite a few places iin the park.

As for Tarangire

Apparently you can off road in the southern swamps i.e. Silale. Not recommended in the wet season, black cotton soil!