November Trip

Old Jul 19th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
November Trip

Looking for help. Am in early stages of planning my first trip to Africa for Nov 2010. Have been advised to visit Kenya and Tanzania. My question: Where are the best areas to stay for a variety of wildlife at this time of year? Looking to spend 10-14 days there so maybe 3 to 4 different places?

Thanks in advance.

Julie
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Check out this chart

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

Not on this chart, but something I think would be very cool is the fruit bat migration in Kasanka, Zambia in Nov-Dec.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:14 AM

<i>Where are the best areas to stay for a variety of wildlife at this time of year?</i>

The migration would be expected in the northern Serengeti in Tanzania at that time of year. For diversity of species including one of the "northern" Kenya parks such as Samburu plus a high altitude forest environment such as Mt Kenya or Aberdares would give you lots of variety. The conflict is the number of days and getting from A to B as these locations aren't close to each other so most people tend to put together an itinerary with a series of parks closer or enroute to each other which makes sense from a logistical point of view but doesn't necessarily give the most variety. A more typical itinerary for that time of year (do you have any flexibility here?) would include Manyara (and maybe Tarangire), Ngorongoro and Serengeti, all in northern Tanzania. If this is your first safari, you'll likely be blown away no matter where you go.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM

I would use the chart as a very rough guide for East Africa. It looks like it's somewhat based on traditional rainfall patterns which are not so predictable any more. I've visited some of those parks in different months and the colors don't necessarily correspond with my experiences.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Patty

Thanks for the info. Time of trip is not really flexible -- need to travel in November and be home before Thanksgiving. This will be my first safari and I'm sure I'll have a great time and I really want my husband to have the best time (he is going along but not thrilled) so we'll be able to go back. Really don't want to spend alot of time getting from one place to another.

I have been looking at the Manyara, Ngorongoro and Serengeti (mobile camp here) and maybe Masai Mara, two to three days each place.

Would you have any recommendations on camps/lodges and companies? I do NOT want a tour.

Thanks,

Julie
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM

Julie, I think your choices of Ngorongoro and Serengeti are good for November, but I'd be inclined to go to Tarangire rather than Manyara. You certainly do not have to take a tour...a private, guided safari option is the first choice for a lot of us. Have you had a browse through the New East Africa Trip Report Index? It may be a good starting point for you: http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...port-index.cfm

You have a lot of choice when it comes to camps, lodges and companies. A lot will depend on what your interests are (type of accommodation, fly/drive trip versus drive only, game viewing, cultural experiences), and what kind of budget you have.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 01:01 AM

Hi Julie,

I would recommend a safari in mara maybe 03 nights in cbudget camp and may be visit flamingo lake and then drive south to Ngorongoro and Serenget, but the time does not matter but plan ahead. You will love all these parks they are the best in east Africa. and wildlife and culture combine together.
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Lots of choices, but Nov has good prices as this is "short" rain period. Doesn't mean it will rain and if it does, nothing but afternoon or overnight showers and then beautiful.

Northern Serengeti is good, but you have to consider how you'll get here. Can't drive it in 1/day. Most people will fly to/from. However, there are few properties in the area and those that are tend to be expensive, but for the Lobo Wildlife and though great views, many consider it too budget/basic.

So your budget is also important.

What else is important is where will you be arriving? At Nairobi/NBO Kenya into which more carrier fly. Or at Kilimanjaro/JRO Tanzania with only KLM. And, if wishing to visit both in Tanzania and Kenya, transport between the two countries. The drives are full-day adventures; flights are your option.

Assume flying KLM that flies into/out of both NBO and JRO, arriving NBO... visit Masai Mara for a few days. Then head into Tanzania to visit at Tarangire, Ngorongoro and Serengeti. Back to JRO and homebound, as:

Day 1 - Arv. NBO - o/n
Day 2 - Drive (5-6/hrs) or fly (50/min) to Masai Mara - o/n
Days 3 & 4 - Masai Mara - o/n
Day 5 - Fly (50/min) to NBO; fly (1/hr) to JRO, arriving about 2pm; transfer to Arusha - o/n
Day 6 - Drive (2/hrs) to Tarangire - o/n
Day 7 - Tarangire - o/n
Day 8 - Drive (3/hrs) to Ngorongoro; afternoon crater tour - o/n
Day 9 - Drive (3/hrs) to Central Serengeti - o/n
Day 10 - Drive (3/hrs) to N. Serengeti - o/n
Day 11 & 12 - N. Serengeti - o/n
Day 13 - Fly to Arusha/JRO; homebound out of JRO

It's a place from where to start.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 02:03 AM

Julie, if you do go to Tarangire, you may want to consider Swala lodge. Our favorite lux camp while we were in Tanz and Uganda for 3 weeks in July. Completely renovated.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 02:03 AM

I should have said Swala camp, not lodge.....
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

OK, with your help, I've come up with a trial itinerary.

Fly into JRO
Day 1,2 Arusha
Day 3,4 Tarangire
Day 5,6 Lake Manyara
Day 7,8,9 North Serengiti
Day 10,11,12 Central Serengiti
Day 13,14 NG Crater
Day 15 Fly out of JRO

Would like to fly between places where possible.

Being the shoulder season, hopefully rates will be cheaper and can stay in small camps vs larger lodges.

Does this look reasonable?

Thanks,

Julie
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Julie:

Keep reading, you're making progress. It took me 3 weeks of reading this forum and taking their advice before I planned a trip for my husband and I that will happen this October 23-Nov2. I also have a not too willing husband so comfort and budget were important.

Here's what we've planned:

Fly into JRO...overnight in Arusha
Days 2 & 3 Tarangerie River Camp
Day 4 Drive through Lake Manyara and Karatu, lunch at Gibbs
overnight at Sopa Lodge at Ngor. Crater
Day 5...explore Crater....overnight at Sopa
Day 6 ..Ndutu Camp..Ngo. Conservation Area (I wanted to break up the drive into the Serengeti...and saw this was a lovely camp...but will probably not be the best game viewing)
Day 7 & 8 Central Serengeti...Mbuzi Mawe
Day 9 & 10 Northern Serengeti..Migration Camp
Day 11...Fly to Arusha..day room at Kia lodge...
Day 12...homebound

Don't know if this will be the "perfect" trip and I still have some concerns about my choices...but this land trip,which combines small camps and luxury tented camps with one larger lodge and a private guide and driver all the way plus the flight to Arusha will cost around $8,000 for the two of us.

So if you can wait to book your trip, till I return.I'll be happy to fill you in on how it turned out.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

I won't be booking for a few months yet. Since I not going until Nov 2010, I thought I could book about a year out and still get my first choices.

Looking forward to your trip report Sandra. Have a great time!

Julie
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Pastrider, the northern circuit lends itself well to driving, at least until you reach the Serengeti. Ngorongoro Crater is on your way from Lake Manyara to the Serengeti, so I'd move it to that spot in your itinerary. From there, you can drive to the northern Serengeti, although it's a long drive. Most of it could be considered a game drive, though. Then, end up in the central Serengeti and fly back to Arusha from Seronera. You could reverse the central and northern stays if you didn't want the long drive to the north, but there are fewer options for flying out of the northern Serengeti than there are from Seronera.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM

In Tanzania, November isn't low-season. It's still high-season. With the exception of April/May at low-season rates, everything else is peak-season. Of course, over Christmas/New Years you can expect holiday surcharges.

November can also (as would be late-July) be one of those months, where the migrating herds can be anywhere. They can be in the north, some in central and not unusual for others to have already reached the south/Ndutu.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM

Hi Julie,

I would advise to just take one nite in Arusha and visit Arusha national Park, then day two you visit Tarangire for one nite only (this is a small park no need for two nites same with Manyara. I would suggest the following programme:
Day 01 - Fly to JRO
Day 02 - Arusha and visit Arusha Natuional Park
Day 03 - Tarangire
Day 04 - Lake manyara
Day 05 - Ngorongoro
Day 06 Ngorongoro
Day 07, 08, 09, 10 - Serengeti
Day 11 - Cros to Kenyas Maasai Mara
Day 11 - maasai Mara
Day 12 - maasai mara then drive back to Nairobi.

But for Sure small camp (Budget will be quite cheap in both Kenya and Tanzania)
Tanzania Section Budget camping will around USD160 per day while the Kenya section will be USD120 per day !! Kenya is far more cheaper than Tanzania.
Try this gentleman can really help you on drawing up and arranging your safaris he is highly recommended in the Rough Guide and Petite fute his e-mail address
[email protected]
Hope you get assisted.