Northern Circuit itinerary help needed.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Circuit itinerary help needed.

We almost have a final itinerary for our Northern Circuit trip likely in early February but we now could use some of your expertise in fine tuning this. Any input would be really appreciated.

Day 1 / 2 Arusha
Day 3 Tarangire Treetops
Day 4 & maybe day 5 Plantation Lodge
Day 6 / 7 Ndutu Lodge
Day 8 / 9 Serengeti Serena
Day 10 / 11 Ngorongoro Serena
Arusha

Is this a good route for early February ? We have a day of game viewing on our way to Treetops and then the next day on our way to Plantation Lodge. What we are really needing to know is - will there be enough to do in the area of Plantation Lodge for us to stay another night there. We know the town of Karatu is nearby and there is a market. What else could keep us there for another night other than just relaxing ? ?

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:49 PM
santharamhari

Galiano,

For feb, wouldn't u like more time around ndutu? i would do 3 nights there....removing one night at plantation lodge. Although, i'm ignorant about Plantation....i'll lv that to the other posters.

Hari

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Hi Galiano,

I just did a similar itinerary last February/March. I do think, if your budget allowed it, you would be better off using one of those Arusha nights in Ndutu. The Ndutu area was, by far, the highlight of my safari. I stayed at Nomad's semi-mobile camp in the Ndutu area.

Although nobody ever knows when the Migration will arrive, it is worth mentioning that the Migration did not arrive in Ndutu until late February of this year. Early February, reportedly, Ndutu was a dustbowl.

Just tossing around alternate ideas:

Day 1 - Arusha
Day 2 & 3 - Tarangire (Be advised that Treetops is a LONG way from the entrance to the park...about 90 minutes)
Day 4 & 5 -Ngorongoro Crater
Day 6, 7, 8 & 9 - Ndutu

Personally, I would suggest upgrading the camps and shortening the itinerary. I thought that the Seronera area was a big letdown after experiencing Ndutu. In Ndutu you are able to off-road and there are not many other people, but Seronera will have more tourists and you will lose the ability to drive off-road.

You would be able to fly out of Ndutu back to Kiliminjaro.

If you did wait until April 01st, you would get some fantastic rates. I thought that the rain I experienced in early - mid March was fantastic and a highlight of the safari. I did not feel it negatively affected the gameviewing one bit. Judge for yourself by taking a look at my photo album:

www.kodakgallery.com/rocco/tanzania
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM
santharamhari

Rocco,

What months do the semi-permanent camps (CCA or Nomad) locate themselves in the ndutu region? So, ndutu and Kliens are the only parts where off-roading is possible?

Hari

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:12 PM

Hari,

I believe the semi-permanent camps setup in the Ndutu areas between about late January to late April.

As far as offroading, you have mentioned the only two areas of the Serengeti that I am aware where off-roading is allowed. Best of all, these are also two of the less visited areas of the park, allowing for a more exclusive safari.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:14 PM
santharamhari

ok. Thks

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Santharamhari : thks for your reply. We are going to re-consider and may add a night at Ndutu. My concern is that last year in early February it was apparently a dustbowl.

Roccco : Again we may have to think about adding a night at Ndutu. I notice on your suggested itinerary you left out Plantation Lodge completely. Any reason ? We are thinking a a day there just to sit around and enjoy where we are.
My wife refuses to fly in country so this is a driving safari all the way.

BTW your photos are outstanding.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Galiano,

From what I understand, Plantation Lodge is a mere 30 kms. away from the Ngorongoro Crater. My advise would be to drive all they way to the Crater and just relax at the lodge upon arrival, rather than forcing in an afternoon drive.

What would you do for two nights at Plantation Lodge anyway? When on safari, I think it is best to have an uninterrupted gameviewing experience. Yes the road transfers are a bit of an interruption, but to start adding nights that are not even for gameviewing I find to be especially disruptive.

Save the full day game drive within the crater for the following morning and then return for your second night at the lodge.

It should not be more than about a 4 hour drive from Ngorongoro Crater to Ndutu.

If it allows you to upgrade from Ndutu Lodge to Nomad's Serengeti semi-mobile camp in Ndutu, then I think that would be a nice tradeoff for shortening your safari for two nights.

Also, you really do need to pay close attention to whoever the ground handler will be and the type of vehicle used. I would never again allow a Land Rover 110 as my vehicle. Instead, make sure you have a Land Cruiser (much more comfortable).

For Tarangire, I think you would be better off with Olivers Camp, Swala or Nomad's Tarangire Camp. Although I did stay at Tarangire Treetops and loved my room, it was just too far from the park for a February visit. I was told in August/September that there was wildlife all around, but the same cannot be said about February.

I honestly believe that Seronera would be a letdown after Ndutu so I would continue to advise you to fly right out of Ndutu. And again, pushing it back until later in the month may prove beneficial for your Ndutu visit.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 06:59 PM
santharamhari

Galiano,

I agree with Rocco....try to push your trip to a bit later and add days to ndutu.

Hari

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Well our trip has to be in late January or the first two weeks of February so I'll take your suggestions and make it February. It can't be later.

I still haven't had anyone reply who had advice about Plantation Lodge. We really plan to sit around while there and maybe visit a local village or something - a day off from animals ?

Roccco I am very interested in your vehicle suggestions. I can imagine that there is a real variety of type and quality of vehicle and given how much time you spend in them it's probably important to request the right thing. I think this deserves a separate thread so maybe I'll start one.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Galiano - I'll pipe in. Staying at Gibb's or Plantation seemed like a great idea to me for our trip as well to get a little down time, relax and enjoy the travels. Maybe I'm slowing my travel plans a bit more as I go, but I do like a combination experience. Also, think meeting the people at Karatu area would be good. Think there's a village near there called Mto wa Mbu which looked like a great cultural experience.

As to Ndutu in February, who's to say if the migration will be as late as this year in 2007? Anything is possible and February is within the "averages" of when the migration crosses to the southern park of Serengeti. As to the dust, from what I've read, looks like that is an issue regardless if it's not the rainy season.

Agree take a day from Arusha and add back to Ndutu region.

If you are looking for a "Tree" type lodge, treetops might suit you well for Tarangire, but it is further out as Rocco states. Here's an alternate idea to consider, which I'm expecting will be refuted by others. Could stay one night at Tarangire (Olivers/Swala), one night at Manyara Tree Lodge (for the "tree lodge experience" - looks great!) and on to Plantation. Would recommend that only if you really are intent on the tree lodge experience. Regaredless at that time of year a drive through Manyara may be very good for viewing animals.

Ideas to consider....
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM
aby

galiano

Calving Usually starts at the second half of Feb, meaning best time would be either March or towards the end of FEb...
If u must go on early Feb' u'd probably see the migration
i agree with Rocco about Plantation & with Hari's suggestion earlier
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 02:54 PM
aby

2006 was a "strange" year, so no predictions can be made according to it...
Still, world climate is going crazy, so 'abnormalities' r becoming normal
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Plantation is a beautiful lodge with great food and service. It is typically used by people visiting either Lake Manyara or the Crater. Last Feb. we stayed 2 nights at Tarangire Treetops and enjoyed the accomodations, the night game drive, 1 night at Plantation, 3 night Ndutu, 2 Serengeti Serena & 2 Ngorongoro Serena.
cj
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

All your replies are really appreciated and will help us fine tune this trip. We are staying 2 nights in Arusha on arrival just to get our bearings and start the safari fresh and hopefully over jet lag. It sounds like there is enough to do in Arusha for one day ( markets etc ) As to staying 2 nights at Plantation Lodge the idea is that we want this trip to be at a leisurely pace so we start after Arusha with a couple of days of game drives and then spend a whole day at leisure, more or less. Then it's off on more game drives over the rest of the trip. I think we have 8 full days of game viewing which I believe is quite a bit.

Lovetodiscover : your approach in wanting to slow things down a bit on your travels are the same as ours. Hence the extra day at Plantation Lodge which sounds lovely. Maybe a great place to sit and read or go for a walk or visit the local village. I think adding a day at Ndutu might be a good idea.

Kiboko : Your itinerary was much like we are hoping to do. Were you really pleased with all your accommodations ? You did a night drive at Tarangire Treetops which sounds exciting. Did you use the vehicle you came in or one of the Lodges vehicles ? You are the first person I have found who has stayed at Plantation Lodge. Did you do any walks or activities while there ? Can you comment on the grounds and the surrounding area ? Would you have liked an extra day there ?
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Plantation Lodge is a lovely property with great food. It's near Karatu, as well.

You might consider visiting the Rift Valley Children's Village and Geytighi School next door. This is about a 30-minute drive off the main road to Ngorongoro Crater. You can see their website at www.tanzanianchildrensfund.org. If you are interested in a visit, e-mail India Howell and ask permission to visit. They also have a "wish list" posted on their website of items that you could bring for them. Be advised that you'll need a 4-wheel-drive vehicle to get back there, and possibly a guide from the orphanage, as it's really off the beaten path. The kids are wonderful, though!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

ShayTay : Thanks for the great reply. That is exactly the kind of thing we'd like to do on our "off day " from animal viewing. Can you tell me how long in time it might take to drive to the orphanage from Plantation Lodge ?

I'll check out the website and see if I can contact them and arrange a visit. Maybe we can bring them something from their wish list.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:08 PM

Galiano,

I will try and answer your questions. The night drive at Tarangire was interesting (elephants, wildebeest, genets, bush babies) no predators. They only lodge vehicle we used was for the night drive. This needs to be booked in advance. The property at Plantation is beautifully landscaped with many tropical plants but is not real large. We did a walk up the hill behind the lodge with a view over the coffee plantations.
The main focus of our trip was wildlife viewing and photography so we did not spend any time in Karatu. Although we enjoyed out stay at Plantation, I would prefer an extra night at Ndutu or Serengeti Serena.
All the lodges were good and I would return to any of them. The itinerary, however, does not have the African experience of a small tented camp.
Hope this helps
CJ