Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is this too much moving around for our Tanzania Safari?

Jun 8th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

We had settled in our itineary with the help of an agent, but having second thoughts and would appreciate help from those who have experienced Tanzania. I can't seem to get a firm idea of the driving distances between these destinations -- on the map, they look quite close. Is this too much moving around? Safari is for 1st week Mar '08. Suggestions on what to omit or change around?We are staying 2 places in Serengeti to cover our bases as to where migration might be. Using a Private Guide/Driver.

Day 1 - Arrive evening JRO - stay at Mt. Meru Game Lodge - Arusha
Day 2- Drive to Kambi ya Tembo for one night
Day 3 - Oliver's Camp - Tarangire -- opinions on this camp? Heard the tses tses are awful and the grass is too tall in early Mar??
Day 4 - Oliver's Camp - Tarangire
Day 5 - Lake Maynara Serena
Day 6 - Ngorongoro Serena
Day 7- Ndutu Safari Lodge - Serengeti
Day 8 - Ndutu Safari Lodge - Serengeti
Day 9 - Mbuzi Mawe - Serengeti
Day 10 - Connect to go home

Thanks.

Jun 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM

donnahelene, I think the distances between the places you've chosen are manageable, but I do have a few comments about your itinerary...

If you're interested in game viewing, Tarangire is not at it's best in March because the animals are dispersed. That's not to say you won't see any animals, just not the volume or variety as during the dry season.

In March you should likely spend 4-5 days in the Serengeti if you're wanting to catch some of the migration. Mbuzi Mawe is a little far north for that, but it's near the Central Serengeti which always has good game viewing. If your budget can handle a mobile tented camp - and it could if you dropped the 2 nights at Olivers - that would be a better choice in my opinion.

With only 9 days on safari, I'm not sure that I'd head east to Kambi ya Tembo, especially for only 1 night.

You might want to think about something more like:

Day 1: Arrive Arusha, overnight Mt Meru Game Lodge.
Day 2: Drive to Lake Manyara, overnight Serena
Day 3: Drive to Crater, overnight Serena
Day 4: Crater, overnight Serena
Day 5: Drive to Ndutu
Day 6: Ndutu
Day 7: Olakira or Suyan
Day 8: Olakira or Suyan
Day 9: Olakira or Suyan
Day 10: Fly back to Arusha

My $0.02

Jun 8th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Can't say enough goodthings about the Serena at Tarangire. It was excellent and centrally located. Prices were reasonable two years ago. We were there 2 nights - 3 days and then on to the crater.

The Serena was also exceptional!
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM

I like Calo's itinerary better than the original for the reasons Calo stated. It would provide an outstanding trip.

If you cannot do a mobile in the Serengeti and you want two locations, I'd do Ndutu along with Seronera or to be consistent with your other properties, Serena. Seronera or Serena were chosen for location. But that would mean no tented camps.

You can see what the "perfect March itinerary" is according to Kiliwarriors.
http://www.kiliwarriors.com/
Jun 9th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Can't say enough goodthings about the Serena at Tarangire. It was excellent and centrally located.

I'm pretty sure there isn't even a Serena at Tarangire ... ?
Jun 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM

donnahelene - yes, I do think you are moving around too much, one night each in that many places will have you screaming to just stay put for a while.

Calo, you are good at the itinerary planning - yours does sound like a winner!
Jun 10th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for responses - I do like Calo's itinerary -- and will work on the changes suggested.
Jun 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM

I'll just add my two cents. I agree with other posts about more time in the Serengeti. We just got back and I'm sorry I didn't spend a 4th night there. We stayed at Mbalageti tented chalets which were divine. Stayed at Tarangire Treetops and saw many elephants but overall I preferred Serengeti. I would just like to add that Serena Manyara and Serena Serengeti are getting worn. People at Manyara were extremely nice but I was very disappointed with the property. I did actually enjoy the park. I'd swap it for the Ngorongoro Crater though, if you had the chance. Just my thoughts. Have a blast.