No trains to Jerusalem

Oct 17th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

No trains to Jerusalem

To correct the FODORs report: there is at present NO train service to Jerusalem. The tracks and railway station are being rebuilt and service might resume by the end of 2005.
Oct 18th, 2004, 10:25 AM

I don't know that there is currently train service anywhere in Israel. I have been there several times and have never seen any. The most common forms of transportation are: buses, taxis and something called a sheirut, or large taxi, which is a van used as a taxi service to transport several people. Sometimes the large taxi will leave from one location, say the central bus station in Jerusalem, and will travel to another city where it will drop off each person at his/her desired location. (I've often taken this kind of car from the airport, the price is set in advance).
Oct 18th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Actually there are both passenger and freight rails in Israel: http://www.israrail.org.il/english/
Oct 18th, 2004, 12:44 PM

old-timers will remember the old train route from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem which tok about twice as long as the bus!

Zohar, where does Fodor's have this misinformation?

There are however, plenty of trains in Israel. The Tel Aviv stations are the busiest with commuters, but basically you can go up the coast to Haifa and down to Ashkelon, and a bit east of the coast too. Many people living in the suburbs of Tel Aviv take the trains to and from work
Oct 20th, 2004, 07:17 PM

THE BIGGEST NEWS IS:

There are trains now going to and from Tel Aviv international airport.

And even BIGGER NEWS: there is a brand new, ultra modern and huge airport terminal opening there in about 2 weeks...

The trains will take you directly into the new terminal.
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:38 AM
sandi

- and to think we're still waiting for the 2nd Avenue subway in NYC, since before I was born (won't tell how long that's been).

It took years to get the train transfer between JFK airport to Jamaica Station only (one of these days it will connect with LaGuardia [LGA]Airport); the same for the train that runs from Newark Liberty (EWR) into Manhattan's Penn Station, which has received great reviews.

Haven't the slightest idea how long these projects were in planning, but it's amazing how this little country gets things done! Good for them!

Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:36 AM

Didn't know about the trains to the airport or that the new terminal is almost open!

sandi: to put it in perspective, though--the airport expansion project was called "Ben Gurion 2000", so while not quite as far behind as the Second Avenue subway...
Oct 22nd, 2004, 12:38 PM
sandi

nyer - Very cute, but 4-years is certainly better then 40+, and recently heard that the plans to actually do the 2nd Ave. Subway has again possibly been put on hold. So it's anyones guess.

Oct 25th, 2004, 03:03 PM

Mamamia, thank you for great news! By the time I finally get to Israel again...

I took that train Jerusalem-TelAviv. It was nearly empty almost till Tel Aviv.

By the way nobody in that hotel in Jerusalem, don't remember the name now, knew the train exists! So it took lots of convincing, as I tried to call myself to ask a question, and it was the only place in Israel where neither English nor Russian were understood
Oct 25th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Don't feel bad ... there are lots of people in the US who don't know Amtrak exists.
Oct 25th, 2004, 07:26 PM

Again, As of now, there is NO train between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. They are working on building a new rail, but I have no idea when they'll finish it.

But, then when they finish, it will, of course, get you to the new TLV terminal...
Oct 26th, 2004, 06:12 AM

I had thought you were asking about transportation within Jerusalem. The last time I was there they were working away on those trains, and since progress in Israel seems to be a lot quicker than here in NYC, we may soon be able to use them. (Sandi: I think we may be waiting another lifetime for that 2nd Ave. subway.)
Oct 26th, 2004, 09:06 AM
sandi

beth23 - how right you are. I can still remember my grandparents speak of the 3rd Ave. El - gone many years - that's fine. And for years recall driving past the open ditch down 2nd Ave. for the subway that has still to be built. That ditch, I believe, has been opened more then once; so the children will have children, we'll be gone, and the waiting will go on! LOL!

Oct 26th, 2004, 09:32 PM

Beth,

I don't think there are even plans for a train within Jerusalem....There were talks about a subway in Tel Aviv, but they were only talks...

Haifa is the only city in Israel that has a subway, the Carmelit, that goes up the Carmel mountain and its neighborhoods. It's been there for many decades.
Oct 27th, 2004, 08:32 AM

There are trains being built in Jerusalem. I don't know if they are going to be inter-city trains, but the construction has been inconveniencing traffic along Jaffa Street for a while now.
Dec 11th, 2004, 12:59 PM

To Suzane-
Not only you give a wrong but you do some self promotion... 'the light train that is under ...construction' is on the paper only right now! it will take at least 2 years to built. Bet shemesh-is not 'down the road'-yiu need to take an hour bus to jerusalem which is exactly the time it will take you by bus from Tel Aviv.
Also you seem to be new here- we don't promote services.Not trvel agents, not tour guides!!!!
Jan 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Coming back from Israel, including a short visit to my friends in Jerusalem, YES, unlike my claim here from Oct 25, there ARE advanced plans for an inter-city commuter train network in Jerusalem.

And the new TLV-JERUSALEM train system is now under construction.

Search this Thread