Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Getting around in Israel/Palestine-help me with our itinerary please!

Old May 26th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

We will be traveling to Palestine and Israel August 8-August 21. We plan on staying in hotels in Aco, Haifa, Jaffa, & Jerusalem (we'll make this our "base" for traveling to the West Bank).

First, what's the best way to get around? Should we rent a car and drive from place to place? How are the roads? I know in Jerusalem we can ditch the car but are taxis cheap like they are in Jordan? Is it all within walking distance?

Second, I'm a Palestinian Muslim American, we'd like to stay either in the Armenian/Christian/or Muslim quarters in Jerusalem... any suggestions for a clean, comfortable reasonably priced hotel?

Third, any good recommendations for hotels in other places like Ako, Jaffa, Haifa?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:51 AM
africnow

Hi mom,

First you can't take a rental car from Israel into the PA areas. Same the other way.

Where in the PA areas do you want to go? Bethlehem is the most open and easy. You get there by taking a taxi or a 'service' (group taxi) from the Old City of Jerusalem.

The other areas are not always open to tourists. You have to listen to/watch the news daily to know when it is safe to visit.

Here are a couple of hotels in East Jerusalem:
The American Colony: 5*
http://tinyurl.com/nudf5

Tulip Inn: 3*
http://tinyurl.com/ljqtn

Three Arches (YMCA)
http://www.ymca3arch.co.il/

Many, many others, this is just an idea for rates and beginning your search.

Inter-city, the roads are fine and a car can be easier. The buses are also great, as are the trains.

Intra-city stick to buses and taxis. The traffic is bad and the parking horrendous in any one of them. In Acco you can't drive to the interesting parts anyway - the streets are too narrow and are closed to vehicles.

This site might interest you too:
http://www.american.edu/ted/hpages/j...um/homepag.htm

Old May 26th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The YMCA 3 Arches is definitely <i>not</i> in East Jerusalem. It's across the street from the King David.
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:22 AM
africnow

Yes. Sorry I didn't make that clear. I said a 'couple' of hotels in E. Jlm and then added the 3 Arches without specifying that it was not there too.

Mea culpa and all that.

Old May 26th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Africnow for the sites and info. We will be crossing the Northern bridge from Jordan to Israel. We plan on taking a bus to Haifa and staying in a hotel there, is that feasible? Is it possible to then take a taxi to Ako? How far are these two cities from each other? Then we'll take taxi or bus to Jaffa and stay there. After that perhaps we'll take bus to Jerusalem and from Jerusalem take taxi to Ramallah and Bethlehem? Does this make more sense? It would probably be cheaper than the car?
In Jordan there are taxis and service taxis everywhere... is it the same in Israel and West Bank? Is it possible to reserve a hotel room when we are in Israel? Or is it better to reserve in advance? Thanks for your help.
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:11 PM
africnow

August is high season. I strongly recommend reserving your hotels in advance.

Yes, travel between cities by group taxi (sherut in Hebrew) is easy and convenient, but the trains are great too. http://www.israrail.org.il/english/index.html
There are for instance 28 trains from the centre of Haifa to Akko on 10 August. The trip takes 28 minutes, is easy and pleasant to negotiate with nice scenery along the way. The price is NIS 12.50 (about US$2.75) per adult.

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the transport available from the crossing to Haifa. Might be easier though to get to Nazareth from there and then onwards to Haifa. I am guessing, but pretty sure, that there will be taxis and or group taxis to Nazareth as well as buses.

As noted above Haifa and Acco are quite close. Less than 1/2 an hour by road or by train.

From Haifa to Tel Aviv/Jaffo (it is one city now)again you might prefer the train or the bus. Certainly you can take either a group taxi or a regular taxi too, but the last might prove to be quite seriously expensive.

Yes, to Ramallah and to Bethlehem group taxis are easy to use, or a private taxi if you prefer. Listen to the English news on the radio (or Arabic if you know the language) on the day that you plan your trip. If they are closed you will be turned away at the check-points.

**Carry your passport with you at all times!!**

Welcome and have fun!

Old May 27th, 2006, 01:56 AM
africnow

Found something I was looking for. This is a great site altogether:

Quote:
&quot;You also have the The Nazarene Bus company phone 04-6010458 who run buses on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. They leave from the Tel Aviv North Train Station at 0700, travel via Nazareth and leave from there at 0830. They use the Sheikh Hussein bridge and reach Amman at 1.30pm (1330 hours). Return fares : NIS 200 from Tel Aviv or NIS 150 from Nazareth.

[Note from me:] This bus picks up first in *Haifa*, from outside the train station near the large granary in the downtown area. You have to make a reservation ahead of time. It leaves from Haifa at 7 am, then from Nazareth at 8:30 am and arrives in Amman at 13:30 on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

[Yup!] A bus leaves Amman for Nazareth and *Haifa* at 14:00 on those same days.&quot;

You are going the other way , so check with the Nazarene bus company in Amman!

The site is at: http://www.jordanjubilee.com/travelme/toisrael.htm

Old May 28th, 2006, 04:37 PM

in the old city areas that you noted is a nice place to stay called Austrian Hospice, I think. It is affordable, has a nice cafeteria with lovely garden and if you don't stay there, go for a slice of struedel and check out the fantastic view from the roof.

bonnie