Search

Nile cruise: which way??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nile cruise: which way??

I know I saw a tip somewhere about doing a Nile Cruise from Aswan to Luxor instead of from Luxor to Aswan...Can anyone explain the difference & why it would be good to do it either way? I appreciate any help offered! Thanks!
Dory
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:42 PM

We will be doing a Nile cruise from Luxor to Aswan, but would have done it in reverse if that fit into our schedule better. I'd be interested to hear if there is any benefit to either direction. I think it is mostly what works with your itinerary.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:06 PM

The boat should stop at the same sights regardless the direction. If the # of days and sights are the same, shouldn't make any difference.

The boats go North or South on certain days and have to return, in the opposite direction.

We did Aswan/Luxor, but could have easily done it the other way... may just have been the day of week. Flew from CAI to Abu Simbel first thing, returned to Aswan where we boarded our boat and cruised to Luxor with a few overnights along the Nile.

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Based on my (limited) research - from Aswan to Luxor is 3 nights and the reverse is 4 nights. It's important to realize that you're not actually travelling all of those days/nights.....as I understand it if you embark in Aswan on Day 1 the boat doesn't actually sail until Day 2 - can anyone confirm that?

We're going to the the Aswan to Luxor route for reasons of cost. What boat are you considering?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses! Elizabeth-I am researching a few-Oberi, travco & Sonesta boats. I think Oberi is out of my price league! So I am looking at the Sonesta boats but Ive seen mixed reviews on them. Which one are you looking at?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Some time ago we did a 7 night Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan and back. The trip was excellent, we had time to see everything and time to relax. I guess if 'time' is an issue then one way makes sense however if you have the time why not use it
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:38 AM

dory -

Oberoi has more than the one expensive Philae boat. Believe one of the other boats is Shaherizad (sp) and her sister boat.

When we boarded in Aswan, we spent afternoon sightseeing and felucca ride (I didn't go, rather chose to enjoy top deck). Next morning we visited High Dam (nothing special), Philae Island and unfinished obelisk. Sailed that afternoon cruising for stop at Kom Ombo temples. O/n cruising and docked at Edfu... where the next morning we toured the temples here. Later that day cruise to Esna (not many boats stop here) for this fascinating temple... then thru the locks, by dark arriving at Crocodile Island/Luxor for docking and o/n. We were on the Movenpick boat and their hotel Jolie Ville is on this island, away from downtown Luxor where all the other boats are docked. A short taxi ride took us into Luxor. Next morning, very early visit to VofK & Q till about lunchtime. Were scheduled for Karnak Temple tour in late afternoon, but we passed and instead enjoyed sundownders on the terrace of one of the hotels and dinner in the souk; later at 9pm did the light & sound show at Karnak. Overnight on the boat and next day when everyone disembarked we ventured to Luxor and Karnak Temples on our own. We finally disembarked (though we were checked out of our room in the morning, but had free roam of the boat) at dusk for transfer to airport and flight to CAI.

There are lots of new boats that have come online since we visited. Even Movenpick has a new boat. As does Sonesta. If you book direct, prices seem to be at rack rates; you'd probably do better booking through an agent, one that is in-country would probably offer a better price.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Hi Sandi, we're doing Movenpick boat(3 night) and hotels for our MISR tour in Nov. They classify them as 4 star, would you agree?
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:08 AM

Not ever having been on a cruise and not ever planning to, I was fine with a Nile cruise as the boats are small (maybe 100/paxs), flat bottom, you can see both shores, water isn't deep. So on boarding, I was surprised that the rooms were as large as they were (my friend who had been on other cruises also acknowledged the rooms were lovely and larger than on some cruise ships).

You're probably on the new Movenpick II, and should be a lovely as the Movenpick I, we sailed back in 2000. Staff was great, English speaking guide was excellent, food was plentiful and tasty. It was a fun and educational experience that I really enjoyed.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:19 AM

I agree on the booking suggestions....book through a local company...there are tons online to choose from.

I think my itinerary as arranged so far goes from Aswan to Luxor, but is 4 nights still as we spend 2 nights in Luxor onboard...thank goodness as I have a day trip to Dendara, Abydos, Luxor, Valleys of Kings/Queens AND balloon ride all planned in Luxor.

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone for your advise. Sandi-I will look into the suggestions you posted. I have been trying to plan this trip for 2 years! Ended up going to Peru this year so next summer is finally Egypt's year! I am sure I will post more questions as I plan!
Dory
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Just a quick comment as to the "difference" between sailing the 2 different ways. The only comments I have heard from some people are - that some liked seeing the "WOW" temples in Luxor last because it made them seem even more spectacular, but others liked seeing the "WOW" temples first because they were getting a little tired of temples by the end of the cruise and don't think they would have appreciated them if they had been last.

Does that make sense??

For me - ALL the temples were spectacular so the direction wouldn't have mattered to me!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM

I also heard that going from Aswan to Luxor was preferred because the sights got bigger and better as you progressed!
We went on Sonesta Moon Goddess and had a lovely room with a small balcony. I called the company direct and was quoted a huge amount. I used ICANTRAVEL in Cairo to book the cruise and all of my arrangements in Egypt and saved a BUNDLE. You need to be aware that the ships vary a lot and you need what the Egyptians label '5 star plus' to get a good Sonesta or Oberoi boat. Noone got sick and everyone ate salads etc. on the Moon Goddess and evrything was washed in distilled water.
Oh, we did go Luxor to Aswan and that was perfectly fine. We also went from Cairo on the overnight train which was an experience, but one I would repeat. The planes seemed to depart from Cairo to Luxor at some unearthly early morning hour so with the train we saved time and money (no hotel that night, no plane fare and a reasonable train fare) and got to the boat early morning ready to take our first tour at 1pm!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:09 PM

GRCC....

I suspect I'll feel the same as you..In Cambodia I never grew tired of all the temples, each with its' own unique features and appearance. I even arranged day trips to Banteay Chhmar as well as Koh Ker, Banteay Sreai and Beg Mealea. I don't think I'll grow tiredof all the temples...even after all 3 pyramid necropoli near Cairo!

Mark-
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:15 AM

Where can one go for info on the cruises, and booking, besides ICAN? I would like to be able to compare and contrast...

Also, it makes sense to me to take the train (or fly) to Aswan, and then take the cruise to Luxor, and fly back to Cairo from Luxor. Would this be the most sensible, budger wise?
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:40 AM

Momliz - Here is another agency to check out cruises. They represent the Movenpick boat and the MS Sherry boat for sure...perhaps more.

Contact Egypt Panorama Tours (operated by an American named Ted Cookson) at [email protected], or [email protected].

I think your idea to fly/train to Aswan, cruise to Luxor and come back to Cairo makes the most sense.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:53 AM

I'm also tempted by cruising on a felucca (sp?) rather than a big, European style cruise ship. We are traveling to try new things, sfter all. However, I have read that facilities on board the feluccas can very, to say the least. Where could I get info on them? A google search was not helpful...
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 01:29 PM

Momliz - I don't believe a felucca will give much in the amenities area.

Oh, and the boats on the Nile aren't "cruise ships." They're way smaller with flat bottom and would be referred to as a "boat" - certainly not a ship.

Movenpick has nice choices, as does Oberoi... the Philae being the top of the line of the three they have cruising. Or, the Sonesta boats and believe they've added a third boat also.

We flew from Cairo via Aswan (though didn't land as all paxs were going) to Abu Simbel; from Abu Simbel to Aswan where we boarded our boat and did the cruise toward Luxor. From Luxor flight to Cairo.