nile cruise/ esna lock

Nov 29th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

nile cruise/ esna lock

which nile cruise would you pick?
Nile Cleopetra
Beau Soleil
King of Thebes
Also if we are taken by bus from Esna to Luxor due to Esna lock closure do we pay the cruise rates or lower rates?
Thanks for all the responses.
regards, Mumbaigirl
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:20 AM
sandi

Cannot comment on the specific Nile cruise boats, as there are so many and new boats come on line yearly.
As to the Esna Locks... do you know that the locks will be closed? and if so, I would suggest you inquire of whomever is booking you, how they charge. But I assume there is no difference in price, as they still get you to Luxor. Will you only have one day/nt in Luxor or will you be returning to Esna where the boat is docked for a second night (sleep and meals)?

Again, for best advise, depending on your boat and time of year is thru your booking agent - and be sure you get specifics. If not satisfied with the reply, arrange to visit when the Esna Locks are in operation.

Nov 30th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi,

Thanks. Our tickets and office leave is all planned.... can't make any changes now. How does one pick up on the cruise ship? Are the 5* ratings of any guidance at all?
The travel agent said it is likely that we will be affected but no response yet as to the cruise, rates etc. I wrote to a few cruise operators directly and one of them got back saying its locked till 15th and we should be able to do the entire cruise on board. Thanks.
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:46 PM
sandi

It's difficult from your original post to understand how or what is booked. And when you say the 15th, what month are to speaking of? Where are you supposed to board your cruise boat... whichever boat chosen - Luxor or Aswan? As to whether the 5* rating is indeed 5*, that too is difficult to say, as besides the King of Thebes, I've never personally heard of the other boats, but as stated above, new boats come on line yearly. I'd be asking when the boat can online (within the past 2-3 yrs is good) or when it was refurbished if an older boat (again 2-3 yrs is good); number of cabins/passengers... 100 passengers would be the max I'd consider.

If as the agent explained you will be doing everything onboard the boat, that can be good, but that can also mean you will be transferred back and forth between Luxor and Esna for more than 1-nt. If this isn't something you want to deal with I would suggest you book 1-nt at a Luxor hotel instead of doing the bus trip more then once. Once in Luxor, all your tours - Valley of the Kings & Queens, Luxor and Karnak Temples and others are done in Luxor and can be done as easily from a hotel as from a boat.

Cruises are available for 3-nts/4-days, 4-nts/5-days, what most travelers take; and longer 7-nt/8-day cruises. You can always change to the shorter 3-nt cruise and spend the 1-nt in Luxor and arrange for the touring from your hotel.

Regarding how you get to the boat - well depending on where the boat departs - Luxor or Aswan - that's where you board. If you're in Cairo you can take the overnight train to Luxor or Aswan, though most people prefer to fly to either Luxor or Aswan. But you don't indicate from where you're traveling - from Cairo? direct from elsewhere? Are you planning on only doing a cruise, or visiting elsewhere in Egypt?

As to the rates, I doubt the rate will be reduced if they bus you rather then cruise to Luxor from Esna - if bus, that has to be paid for and you'll still be sleeping on the boat and eating meals; the reason I suggested the 1-nt in Luxor to avoid the bus more then once.

Dec 1st, 2004, 03:16 AM

I just got back from Egypt a few days ago, and esna locks were functioning, so not sure why you should face this issue.
According to the "Rough Guide" book, the Egyptian tourist authority granted 5 star status to almost all boats, and few may be five star DELUXE. I would just ask how old the boat is to get an idea of its quality.
Dec 7th, 2004, 01:53 AM

The Esna lock closes in summer months, when the Nile is (lower?) We took a Nile Cruise in March last year and loved going through the lock. Our friends went in June and the lock had closed by then. The tour company bussed them the rest of the way to Luxor.

Search this Thread