Search

Nile Cruise Information

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nile Cruise Information

We are considering a visit to Egypt
and a Nile Cruise next March or April . If someone has taken a Uniworld Nile cruise we would appreciate any information about
the experience. We are grateful to Elizabeth who provided information and a link to their fantastic blog. Afer viewing their blog we want to go to Egypt more than ever. Thank you ---

Old Jul 29th, 2008, 03:09 AM

JUDBIRD - I just had a look on tripadvisor.com on the Egypt forum there - it would seem that Uniworld is related to Trafalgar Tours and there are several Trafalgar/Egypt comments on the forum - here's a link to the forum from where you can search

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...124-Egypt.html

Old Jul 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Elizabeth. I checked out
Trip Advisor. We are hoping for more
direct traveler information about
Uniworld.We are experienced ocean
cruisers on Silversea and Regent but never river cruises.

Thank you for being so helpful.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 06:30 AM

While Uniworld is known for the river cruises, my guess is that they may not have an actual presence in Egypt; rather have another company running their Egypt itineraries and Nile cruises.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Sandi. You may be correct.
We can't find any traveler information on a Uniworld Nile trip.
We liked them because Arthur Frommer
says they are high end and excellent. After reading some of the blogs we would like to avoid as
much of the chaos some travelers went through, including illness from food. We have traveled much of
the world and learned some important
lessons. We will call Uniworld
direct and ask about the lack of references.

Thank You Again, Judbird

Thanks agan.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 05:08 AM

Food illnesses can happen anywhere regardless how much/little you pay or the reputation of the eatery... hotel, boat, restaurant. Hey, even tomatoes in the US, which weren't tomatoes at all..... ugh!

More often these bouts are due to long air flights, extended travel, hectic schedules, early wake-ups, and go-go-go.

But do contact Uniworld for specifics. Also know there are other quality Nile Cruise boats - A&K, Oberoi, Movenpick and Sonesta.

Old Jul 31st, 2008, 05:18 AM

JUDBIRD - Check on the cruisecritic website(not cruisecritics) in their River & Canal Cruises board, and/or their Africa & Middle East board under Ports of Call. We are also planning a trip & cruise to Egypt in late 2009, and I know I have seen very positive reports on Uniworld on one of these boards. We haven't decided on who we are using, but Uniworld is on our list.

From what I remember (I've looked at SOOOO many), I think they have a 7-night cruise, and we're not sure we want one that long. We may go the route that Elizabeth_S and others have gone, and use a private guide like Ahmed. Just not that far along in our decision-making yet.

You may need to sign in to cruisecritic (it's free) in order to search either forum, but you will find info there.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 05:59 AM

Just a quick comment about the 7 night cruise - we decided on the shorter cruise (4 nights) upon realizing that the 7 night cruise is repetitious - our 4 night cruise started in Aswan and ended in Luxor - the Luxor to Aswan portion is 3 nights - so a 7 night cruise is Aswan to Aswan.

There are virtually no differences in the sights you see on the 3 versus 4 day cruises (in both cases you only "cruise" the Nile one night - the boats are basically floating hotels in Aswan and Luxor) - I believe there are some additions on the 7 night itinerary (Dendara, for example) but these can also be done by land. We didn't see the point of essentially only cruising for 2 nights out of 7.

Old Jul 31st, 2008, 07:33 AM

Elizabeth_S, I totally agree with you. There is so much to see and do in Egypt that I don't see the point, IF you have limited time, to doing the same cruise in reverse.

My only comment is that it's just the opposite to what you said about the start and finish towns for the 3 night vs the 4 night cruise. When you are going WITH the river north from Aswan to Luxor, it is 3 nights. It is 4 nights when you are going against the river from Luxor to Aswan. At least that is the norm. Your experience might have been different.

Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:52 AM

Hi Debbie - you're right I misspoke, because our Aswan to Luxor cruise in January was 4 nights (which was odd I remember thinking at the time)
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM

Two weeks ago we returned from Egypt. We traveled with Odysseys and were quite pleased with our guide Doaa and with the trip in general. Abu Simbel was included in the price
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 04:47 AM

I just took the Jewels of the Nile trip with Uniworld. It was wonderful! I highly recommend this agency.
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM

I just came back from Egypt and I had a marvelous 4 nights Nile Cruise from Luxor on board one of the best Nile Cruises in Egypt and the price I took for this cruise is unbelievable. At first I skepticized the credibility of the agency but when in Egypt the quality of services and the reservation categories was marvelous. I am writing just to reflect the gratitude I feel for those people for making our journey terrific. The name of the agency is Deluxe Travel and my reservation was on board Royal Princess and I I made savings by directly contacting a local travel agency.

To tell you the truth it was by mere coincidence and I freeked to death when paying the down payment, what if they are not honest ...but thanks God it turned to be one of the most delightful experiences in my life.