Need suggestions for help for Africa

Dec 18th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Need suggestions for help for Africa

As you may be aware from previous postings I have adopted 15 elephant babies from the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. In reading over the newsletters from the Trust online I note that the keepers got "German Army boots" back in 1996. These men desperately need steel-toed boots. When a 300 pound baby elephant or rhino steps on your feet, without the steel toes, you are in big trouble. Also the men are daily walking in snake county.

Does anyone know of any executives in the shoe-boot business that one might contact to either get an extremely good deal or ideally have them donate boots for these worthy wildlife conservationists? There are now over 100 keepers and desnaring team members who could use them.

Jan

Perhaps this is not possible, but if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Would like to think they all have proper boots that they need.

Jan
Dec 18th, 2004, 01:02 PM

Don't know anyone personally but in terms of helping identify companies you could approach Doc Martens leapt to mind instantly - famous steel-toed boot manufacturers here in the UK.

Best of luck,
Kavey
Dec 18th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Kavey:

Thanks so much for the idea. I'll write them and see if they are willing to think about this.

Many thanks.

Jan
Dec 19th, 2004, 04:58 AM
sandi

Jan - Check out Timberline! Have no idea where they're located or what their community projects entail, but it's worth a try. Let us know of successes or not and we'll think harder.

Dec 19th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi.

Will try Timberline also. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Jan
Dec 20th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Hi Jan,
Hope you've got a big back yard...
You might try Danner Boots as well.
Check out their outley store weblink:

http://www.danner.com/dealers_outlet_store.asp

Good Luck,
Brenda
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:42 PM

Hi
We adopted 5 babies ourselves. Do you have an idea of the cost for those boots?
Also you can try companies dealing with animal trapping (snakea etc) they have special equipmemnt used by zoological staff etc.Maybe they will be ready to donate. However, pls try and give me idea of the costing .thanks
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Hamitzer:

Just from adds I've looked at they seem to run about $100.00 - $150.00 for a pair. Will keep trying and if I get any positives replies I'll let you all know.

Three weeks to go everyone and I'll be back "home" in Kenya. Doing my usual week at Amboseli, three days at Samburu and five nights at Satao at Tsavo East. Hope this visit will be a little less of an "adrenaline rush" than last time.

Jan

Search this Thread