Reload this Page >

Bringing the Internet to Remote African Villages - NYT

Feb 6th, 2009, 06:20 AM
aby
Original Poster

"i have a dream"
since the mid 90s, i was tdreaming /thinking that some day an outside financer will connect remote villages to the internet.
since so many Kenyans are fluent in english, i had another utopian vision of youth in a distant village listening to lectures in Harvard or Yale...

IMHO there is a moral debt to those ex-colonial countries or to gererally those who have engaged in slave-economy

may this be the (first) small step
Kung Fu-tse was talkin' about....

aby

not sure which is the proper link
NYT - Technology 2/2/2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/02/te...opia&st=Search

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/02/te...opia&st=Search
Feb 6th, 2009, 08:08 AM

Now even those in remote areas can access the wonder that is Facebook!*sarcasm*

I guess it's worth trying, but I'm not optimistic that bringing the internet to these remote areas will be very helpful. The article does a good job of highlighting the problems.

Cell phones seem to be much more useful (despite limitations) and seem to be much more widely accepted.
Feb 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM

"i had another utopian vision of youth in a distant village listening to lectures in Harvard or Yale"

Please may we never experience such a Utopia! O, the blessings of the wealthy elite raining down upon the ignorant masses of the world...what arrogance! I can think of little worse than turning Africans into little Ivy League clones.

More benefit would come from the students at Harvard and Yale listening to the youth in a distant village in Kenya or other parts of Africa. How much damage has been done by ill-informed and well-meaning Americans?

Paul Theroux captured this sentiment well: "Poor Africa, the happy hunting ground of the mythomaniac, the rock star buffing up his or her image, the missionary with a faith to sell, the child buyer, the retailer of dirty drugs or toxic cigarettes, the editor in search of a scoop, the empire builder, the aid worker, the tycoon wishing to rid himself of his millions, the school builder with a bucket of patronage, the experimenting economist, the diamond merchant, the oil executive, the explorer, the slave trader, the eco-tourist, the adventure traveler, the bird watcher, the travel writer, the escapee, the colonial and his crapulosities, the banker, the busybody, the Mandela-sniffer, the political fantasist, the buccaneer and your cousin the Peace Corps Volunteer. Oh, and the atoner, of whom Thoreau observed in a skeptical essay: “Now, if anything ail a man so that he does not perform his functions ... if he has committed some heinous sin and partially repents, what does he do? He sets about reforming the world.” Thoreau, who had Africa specifically in mind, added, “Do you hear it, ye Wolofs?”"

May Africa be saved from the Do-Gooders.

harumph.

Kurt
Feb 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Much like Kurt said - Most Africans already have more morality and wisdom than the -professors- at Harvard and Yale. Those professors should be listening to them, not the other way around.

You want to help Africans? Give them DDT.

regards - tom
Feb 7th, 2009, 04:52 AM

I guess I'm he only one that thinks this could be a good idea - information is a good thing.

You want to help Africans - ask them what they need, and if they want, help them build a solar panel manufacturing plant and teach them how to manufacture and sell them cheaply. Give them the tools so that they don't need your aid.

Paul Theroux really nailed it, but he did go on to say that the solutions to the problems in Africa need to be African generated and implemented, not externally imposed.