Need advice on Livingstone/Vic Falls activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be spending two days in Livingstone with several teens & early twenty-somethings in August. The variety of activities to choose from is overwhelming. I'd love some feedback from anyone who has done any of the following in that area:

Bungi jumping
Ultralight
Horseback riding
Elephant back safari
Quad bike riding
Livingstone island lunch
Abseiling, flying fox and gorge swing

Thanks very much!
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:58 AM

When I was there last year in May, I really wanted to go white water rafting but the water level was too high causing whirlpools to form in the river. I ended up trying bungi jumping for the first time. I loved it!!!! I wanted to go multiple times but the wait was too long. Also, the bridge where you bungi jump from is very close to Vic Falls National Park on the Zim side where you can get magnificent views of the fall, so I've heard, as I did not see the waterfall up close(I viewed the falls a couple of years before on my first trip to Africa)
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM

I did the white water rafting in November 2005 during my stay at Kwando's Songwe village. Awesome white water experience. They organized the activity thru Bundu adventures, and the guide Thembi(SP?)was fantastic!!! One particular rapid is too advanced and they make you bypass that one......the rest of them good fun. I did the half day trip. The walk into and out of the gorge is good exercise in itself.

Hari
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM

I, too am interested. We will be there next year with two teens. What are abseiling, flying fox and gorge swing?
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:22 PM

momliz-
from safpar.com an adventure and safari company:
The <b>abseil</b> is 53 metres moving down the gorge wall backwards or clients can &quot;rap jump&quot; facing towards.

The <b>gorge swing</b> entails throwing yourself off the edge of the cliff attached to a body harness and free falling for 50 metres before being swung out into the middle of the gorge. The jump ends with several pendulum swings before clients are lowered to the ground. At the bottom there is a track back to the top of the gorge.

The <b>flying fox</b> is a cable slide high above the gorge and clients &quot;fly&quot; across, attached to a special body harness. They are then pulled back to the gorge so there is no walkout.

Old May 10th, 2007, 04:35 AM

good grief, just reading about those gives me the shudders. Literally. But the teens would absolutely love them.
Thanks for the definitions - I guess ! I bet they aren't cheap either, with about a book's worth of liability waivers.
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:25 AM

The white water rafting on the Zambezi is regarded as the best one day rafting in the world: warm water, few rocks (the rapids are caused by drops in the river) and there are pools after the rapids (which means it's relatively safe if you fall out - you'll wash up in the next pool - but there are safety kayakers to catch you just in case)!. So if I had to choose one adventure activity out of all of those on offer it would be the rafting.