Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

My virgin experience is 2 weeks and counting...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to thank all of you who took the time last December to answer my S.O.S. Little did I know that questions like mine are posted here all the time, yet, you were still willing to respond with lengthy suggestions re: countries, guides, itineraries, etc.

I stumbled across this board by accident and now consider it a blessing. Overlooking the occasional in-bitching, most of you are wonderful and have provided me with some terrific laughs. (ThitCho, if you happen to be reading this, you have the BEST screename ever.)

So, my lifelong dream to go to Africa (a.k.a. "virgin experience&quot comes to fruition in 2 weeks. Very unreal. Thanks again for whatever part(s) you played in making this dream come true.

anita
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM

It can't come soon enough, Roommate(Tentmate?) Anita and I are traveling together on a safari to Tanzania. I'm looking forward to laughing our way through Africa! We've got 9 other "virgins" joining us, so it should be a great experience. Most of you usually want to know the particulars, so here goes:

Outfitter: Kibo Guides

9/8 - Arrive in Arusha, Moivaro Lodge

9/9-10 - Sinya Private Reserve, West Kilimanjaro, Kambi ya Tembo Camp

9/11-12 - Tarangire NP, Maramboi Camp

9/13 - Visit local village and Rift Valley Children's Village, Ngorongoro Sopa

9/14 - Ngorongoro Crater, Sopa

9/15-18 - Northern Serengeti, Private Mobile Tented Camp

Then, four of us go on to Zanzibar:
9/19 - Tembo House, Stonetown

9/20-22 - Pongwe Beach Resort

9/23 - To Dar and flight out

9/24 - Home (aw shucks!)

If anyone is going to cross paths with us, be sure to let us know.

Sharon
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Ten Virgins To Tanzania. You should start your note taking now for the screenplay.

Have a marvelous time.

Aknards, you must have an appreciation of dog meat. That's not meant as any in-bitching. Isn't that the translation of the BEST screen name ever?
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

atravelynn,

It was the genesis of the name and how he told the story that I found so funny, particularly in contrast to everyone elses which, (for the most part), seemed so "normal" by comparison. And, no, dog meat does not make a regular appearance at my dinner table - my three teenagers are very picky eaters. (that's a joke, guys. i don't eat dog meat, ok?)
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM

That means you think Aknards is normal.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Sharon,
Why Kibo Guides. I have not heard good things about them but rather they are primarily and OAT guide service , somewhat low end. Is that not true? We have discounted using them for that reason, OAT type tours are not for us.
Ted
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 01:59 PM

My experience has been that OAT uses some of the best outfitters on the ground in foreign countries (I've been to several with them). I know that OAT may have a less than stellar reputation here in the US, but I wouldn't translate that to their foreign outfitters. They have always gone out of their way to make the trip a special experience.

Guides aspire to work for Kibo, which may be because Willy Chambulo, one of the pricipals, was once a guide himself. I asked one of my guides why he switched from another major safari company to Kibo and did he think Kibo was better. He looked at me like I was a bit nuts and said, "Would I switch from steak to hamburger?!"

I also like the Tanganyika Wilderness Camp properties, which has some shared ownership with Kibo. They are not low end and not high end, but comfortable and "Tanzanian" in character. I decided not to stay at the Farmhouse this year with the "half day rule" looming over our Crater visit because I wanted to be in the best position possible. Kibo had no problem with that. Each year I travel with Kibo, I notice things that they have upgraded; vehicles, camps, etc. They also help the local populace, as well, such as working with parents to build a secondary school.

Kibo also takes good care of us while we're "in country." Last year, they helped us out of a jam we didn't even know we were in. Four of our group were going on to Zanzibar. That portion of the trip wasn't booked by Kibo, but they knew about it. While we were out on safari, Josiah at Kibo noticed that ZanAir had moved up the flight time and also transferred the flight from Arusha to JRO. We were flying in to Arusha from the Serengeti and could not have made that flight. Kibo booked us on a short flight from Arusha to JRO AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE... not bad, huh? They also were able to move us to a campsite in the Serengeti closer to the Migration than our original campsite would have been, thanks to the Migration turning around and going south again. Kibo may not do these extra things for OAT, but they have gone out of their way for me more than once.

I've traveled on safari with just one other person at times. That said, I also like to travel with a group, especially in East Africa. I get a lot of joy watching "virgins" experience Africa for the first time. Let's face it, you're going be around other travelers no matter where you stay, so they might as well be your friends (old or new.) The camaraderie of the group has always a special part being on safari.

There are lots of good safari operators in Tanzania; I just prefer Kibo.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Thanks for a really thought reply. We have friends who have traveled to Tanzania many times and used Kibo. Their recent experiences have not been as good as yours. Their read was that Kibo has so much OAT business they are not paying attention to solo travelers. I personally do not like OAT although they are thought to be a great bargin. It's nice that Tanzania has so many choices. Evidently according to one of their Kibo guides, OAT travelers seldom return a second or third time and the guides are becoming conditioned to a less than optimum experience. They probably know you and do a bit extra, I have no idea though. I keep hearing that Good Earth tries very hard to satisfy guests but my sample recommendations are far fewer. Since you like Kibo, are their any guides in particular that you would recommend? Friends tell me that Kibo is building a large hotel resort in the Ndutu area. Is that true?
Ted
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 06:49 AM

aknards, thanks for the compliment on my screen name -- it was selected in a hasty fit of pique as I became aware that all of my more natural, preferred names were unavailable on yahoo. So, I chose a name from the window of a Vietnamese restaurant (I was in Hanoi when I created my yahoo e-mail account), and I've used it since (it does generate some email from Vietnamese spammers).
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

thit cho,

I loved the way you told the story months ago...and it's so outrageous and un-p.c. Call me crazy but I thought it was very funny. My vegan son even lightened up enough to laugh and my youngest son thought it was a great name for his punk band. (He was out-voted. They're now, "Nightmare Sonata".)
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Temba, I haven't heard about TWC/Kibo's building plans. Certainly that area could use more permanent lodging than just Ndutu Lodge. I'll have ask.

As for guides, there is Allen Mnyenye, who is also part owner of TWC and often supervises the building of their camps and lodges. He's much in demand, though. I really like Peter Njau, who will be our lead guide again this year. He goes out of his way to make the experience special. Last year he took our 10 ladies to a Maasai village that hadn't had visitors before. Peter had been talking to the husband for some months and finally got permission for a visit. We spent over 4 hours there. The best part was when we joined the ladies of the village in the head wife's hut and asked each other questions for over an hour, with our guides translating...wonderful! Our second guide last year was a young man named Godliving who was also great. One of my lead guides from a prior trip, John Balleta, will also be one of our guides this year.

I know that some people have had less than stellar experiences with a Kibo guide. One Fodorite was scheduled to have Peter, who had to drop out due to a death in the family. The replacement guide wasn't all that great. I guess that he was available at the last minute for a reason!
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aknards, have a wonderful trip! Please come back and tell us all about it.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Leely, I appreciate that.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:17 AM

aknards, safari njema!
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 05:41 PM

I had an exceptional experience with Kibo and back up the previous comments. We received free upgrades whenever possible. They did an excellent job of providing some cultural immersion as well. Our guides and support teams were extremely dedicated, professional, and knowledgeable - as well as a pleasure to spend time with throughout our tour (Comfort and Joseph were our guides.)
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 06:36 PM

Happy and safe travels.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:22 AM

I remember your post from December. Hard to believe your trip is just around the corner. Have a great trip!